mypopslou

Tire Pressure

I only use a hand gauge when adding air at the start of the season or if I have had a drop in pressure of more than 10%.

I know this is OK as I use my TPMS "Morning Reset" feature at the start of each travel day. This sets my TPMS readings on the monitor to 0 PSI and 32°F. I then go get my coffee and after a few minutes, I have the current CIP readings.

(Side note) I have learned that if I have a slow response from a sensor it is an indication the battery is getting old so I just put replacing the battery on my to-do list for the next day)  Since my CIP is set to be the minimum inflation based on my heavier ends, of each axles + 10%.   I have a built-in margin so have learned that +/- a few psi is normal. Since psi of air and N2 changes by about 2% for each change in temperature of 10°F.  I know that the Ambient temperature would have to drop by 50°F or more before I would need to be adding air. 

The availability of TPMS has actually created a bit of a problem as folks now know their tire pressure and temperature so since they have little or no experience with what they have been running for the past 5 or 20 years then get un-necessarily worried when they see the pressure change by a couple or even5 psi. 

NOTE I am talking COLD pressure (CIP) measured with a pressure gauge that is accurate to within +/- 3% of your CIP. Tire engineers know that tire temperature and pressure will increase with running. maybe even as much as 20 to 25% if you run heavy and fast.  You are not going to get a "Blowout" from the normal pressure increase unless you have somehow severely damaged your tire. Most street tires I know of can handle a 50 to 100% pressure increase.

I suggest you read this post if you are still concerned.