fagnaml

Diesel and Gasoline Prices

As the summer RV season nears, folks may be interested in gasoline and diesel prices when planning "how far to travel" for their weekend or week long outings.  Each week the Energy Information Administration publishes its "This Week in Petroleum" report which provides average retail gasoline and diesel prices by region across the U.S.  As usual, prices are expected to increase during summer vacation season.   Ultra-low sulfur diesel prices are already up to $3.50 / gallon on the West Coast and are at or nearing $3.00 / gallon in other areas of the U.S (an increase of 40-50 cents/gallon compared to this time last year) -->https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/weekly/distillate.php

Most of the price increase is related to crude oil price which is around $67/barrel this year compared to $50/barrel a year ago --> https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/weekly/crude.php   Every $1/bbl increase in crude oil price translates to a 2.5 cents/gallon increase in gasoline and diesel prices.

At what diesel price do diesel pusher motorhomes become a family toy that is too expensive to use?

I experienced the close to $5/gallon diesel a few years ago and didn't change any plans. I'll admit there were times of sticker shock when fueling.🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

For us the fuel cost is important but won't keep us from much of what we have planned. Even a $1/gal increase only means an extra $150 to go over a thousand miles. Most of our trips are completed on one tank, so we're not stressing over this. Still cheaper than any other mode of travel for us right now, especially considering that the bus is already bought and paid for.

We all knew a few years ago when fuel prices spiked what the potential was. The years since then with extremely cheap fuel have been an unexpected blessing. The fact that prices are rising right now shouldn't be a surprise to anyone given the events of the world. To my thinking, they go up, they go down...lather, rinse, repeat.

For an interesting read, check out this site which shows the price of gasoline adjusted for inflation showing a comparison across the decades. Who knew that we had it so good in 1998?

https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

I don't know, that is a individual challenge. The heist I have records on was about $4.459. I only drove a little over 14,000 miles that year. 

Bill

50 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I don't know, that is a individual challenge. The heist I have records on was about $4.459. I only drove a little over 14,000 miles that year. 

Bill

Stayed home a lot didn't you?

There are more BTUs in a gallon of diesel fuel thankfully. That explains the cost differential in part . Could you imagine a 7.2 liter gasoline (439 cubic inches) pushing a 30,000 pound 40 footer  down the road?😎

I didn't travel in Jim S's expensive circles but in 2008 on a West Coast trip it reached $4.00 a gallon.  West Coast is always more expensive than other areas of the U.S.  Doesn't matter, we just slow our travel down to let the monthly retirement catch up.

Consider going to point a, b, c and d, filling up every half tank or so and doing that in about a week. That's two full tanks of gas there-a-bouts. Now travel that same route but stop for a week and enjoy the areas.  It's still two full tanks of gas but now it is spread out over 4 weeks and the finances catch up. 

There are ways to manage it.  Doesn't matter if it gets that high again, we are going to travel.

I'm with Wayne, sticker shock and that about it!

I'm only going to live and experience 2018 one time in my life with friends and family, not willing to miss out on it when you don't know when your last day will be.

I am with Joe and Wayne. The major effect I have seen when fuel prices go up is people tend to stay closer to home and stay in one place longer. Think about it which would rather put fuel in the coach (enter your mileage heare :P) or the toad that gets 30 mpg.

2014 was the last time we had a spike in prices. Let's hope it doesn't go to hi or last to long. :P

Bill 

The most I've paid for diesel was in 2008. We had just come off the Natchez Trace and were traveling mostly back roads in Mississippi. I remember needed to fuel up in some small town and paid $4.89....yikes.

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

The most I've paid for diesel was in 2008. We had just come off the Natchez Trace and were traveling mostly back roads in Mississippi. I remember needed to fuel up in some small town and paid $4.89....yikes.

I don't care how deep your pockets you still cringe a little when the pump clicks past $300.00 on a fill up.:o

I started filling at 1/2 tank or less as you used the same amount of fuel over time but the sticker shock is less.B)

Bill

5 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

YUP, summer of 08' drove our C from PA to CA the most I paid was $4.59 per gallon in a coach that was probably getting 7 miles per gallon average on a good day. 

Best RV trip ever...just took me longer to pay off the credit card. 

Yes, I do remember 2008.  Taos, NM $4.969 a gal. :angry:

Now, I roll 450 +/- miles and get around 80 gallons...Still makes me pucker!:P  Think I'll leave the 110 to 125 gallon fill ups, alone for a while! :(  Think about Europa that rolls on $7 t0 $8 per gallon of regular gas, that makes me feel better! :D

Jim S.  Anyone who lives in the Texas Hill Country, with expensive, new toys, can't complain about being broke or having "deep empty pockets"! :lol: 

I like filling up at around the half tank level and not just for pocket book.  Been there done that when the tank was close to 1/4 and I needed to run the generator. Never know when that will happen.  Less of a $$ shock also until the bill comes in.

Use to have a 90 gallon tank and now a 150 gallon tank.  Guess it is because of the Aqua Hot, :-).

Wayne,

Just like your generator your A-H will stop running at 1/4 tank level. On a cold night you don't want that to happen. :(

Each time we return from a trip I fill up the tank. Less condensation. 

Herman

Here is another link to weekly diesel and gasoline prices --> http://fuelsmarketnews.com/eia-gasoline-and-diesel-retail-prices-update-may-1-2018/

Diesel now costs $3.00/gallon or more  across the entire U.S.   The West Coast, with all of its fuel quality restrictions and higher taxes, has the highest diesel price at $3.64/gallon this past week.

I don't know if the forum is aware of the taxes imposed on diesel fuel by state.  This chart from the American Petroleum Institute (API) is very eye opening --> http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Statistics/Diesel-Tax-Map.pdf  

For my summer long weekend excursions, I'll stay in Texas and Louisiana where diesel taxes are low at 45 cents/gallon and avoid the west and east coasts where diesel taxes are $1.00/gallon or higher !!

The attached image shows the "components" of the average pump price for a gallon of diesel.  The 'tax amount" at the top pump is the "slice" that varies by sate.   The price of other "slices" stays relatively consistent.   The crude oil portion of the pump price of course varies with crude oil prices.

Diesel Pump Price.PNG

Mike.  I would agree with you if I still had a job!  Nothing say's HOT, than Texas and LA., in the summer! :P:P  The older I get, the more I want that 60 to 80 spread, year around. :D  Might have to think about Pacific NW in Summer and South Texas in Winter.

Then there is the proposed 25 cent a gallon Interstate repair tax!  That "will end when they are all fixed".....:blink: In your great grandkids life time! :ph34r:

We will have $5 a gallon fuel as a norm, I suspect in the next 5 years!  Going by your pump price for Diesel....Refining is about .03 cent per gallon + 15 ppm Sulfur!  Big Oil operates on a 4% profit margin.

Herman, yes I know the AH will shut down at 1/4 tank.  I always put the chariot in storage with a full tank just for the reason you stated.

Et. al., diesel prices will not stop my travels and this year it is to the East Coast for the summer, up to NE, over to Niagara, across to MI, to the UP and around and return home.  Next year it's back to the Left Coast where on Hwy 101 it stays cool most of the summer but one needs to be aware of fires, mudslide, etc.

I never said it will stop me, just a heads up for the future! :D  Some where along the line, we will run into each other (almost happened in San Antonio)! :) We are going to Oregon after Gillette, then a Norwegian Fjord Cruise and 2 weeks in Sweden....Our Diesel price, will feel like a give away, when we return! :lol:

Diesel (and gasoline) prices crept upwards a couple of cents per gallon during the last week and will increase again with crude prices near $70/bbl --> https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

Here's a question for the forum.   Gas Buddy (https://www.gasbuddy.com/) and Gas Price Watch (http://www.gaspricewatch.com/) are good "tools" to use to find the lowest gasoline prices in a huge number of locations across the U.S.   I haven't found a similar website (or app) that provides similar "cheapest price" information for diesel fuel.   Does anyone know of a "Gas Buddy" type site for diesel fuel?