My wife and I tow a 2015 Kia Soul, 5 speed behind our 2007 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA, and it is roomy, extremely

stable and Peppy for us, our Pups, and whatever we want to put in it, and we are Extremely happy with it.  

But, my fancy, (and maybe a bit lazy) buddy, wants to tow an Automatic behind his new coach.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what is a good 'automatic transmission' vehicle that I can tell him to  check out

to possibly buy and tow behind his Bounder.

Any help would be Much appreciated,

GunNut11

On the main FMCA Website, under Magazine is a year by year list from the vehicle manufacturers of what they deem towable 4 wheels down.  Yes,  in some cases the "not to recommend for towing" is a legal/warranty decision, not a mechanical one. 

But, it will give you a good starting place.

I tow a Jeep Wrangler 2013 Automatic! Have also had 4x4 Colorado's and Toyota Tundra , all 4x4 automat!

Jim S.  You got the Canyon and forgot to tell me? :( I feel rejected...:rolleyes:

The FMCA Towing guides are an awesome resource and I encourage your friend to check them out. 

That being said, we tow a 4X4 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited automatic but I have been researching alternatives lately. I found that Ford has a number of automatic transmission small sedans and hatch backs as well as several SUVs that are towable four down. Four wheel drive not required. 

I was pleasantly surprised. 

I wish we had 2007 Saturn but...

We have towed two Ford Edges since 2010. Our 2013 is our current towed.

First one was 2wh drive the 13  is awd. WeAbout 5200 lb or a bit moreight is bout 4200 lb on the awd about 3900-4000 on the two wheel drive.

Can't get the the turbo motors and flat tow them.

We have no complains and plenty of leg room and comfort. Only problem was in the 2010 we did not put in accessory position and.... dead battery.

So now I have heavy duty 24 ft battery cables. It will reach from the coach battery bay way out there.

Ford F150 4x4s are light but the 4x4 feature is required to flat tow.  About 5200 lb or a bit more with v8.

My 05 F150 or my darling Sadie my old faithful is heavier and only two wheel drive or I would tow it.

When you re small town anywhere and Cracker Barrel hasn't raided the store, lots of good antiques come home with us if we can find any room.So  the F150 with a camper shell or maybe just  sturdy tarp, plus the inside of the pickup is being considered.

At the moment, I and my Lady still enjoy 4 wheeling in the back country, desert and mountains!  I foresee a day in the not to distant future, where my bones and body, will make me, make a change! 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

At the moment, I and my Lady still enjoy 4 wheeling in the back country, desert and mountains!  I foresee a day in the not to distant future, where my bones and body, will make me, make a change! 

To what, a 4 door wrangler with no lift and a hellcat engine :lol:?

Herman.  I was thinking more along the line of your truck!  Linda's 2014 Expedition is set for towing and it's real comfy!!!

Joe.  I did look at a Rubicon Unlimited, with a 6.7 Hemi....maybe in my third childhood..Last hurrah!!! :lol:

Another resource published yearly is Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide.  Similar to FMCA's yearly guides.  Pryor year's information is still available at both websites. 

http://www.motorhome.com/submit-email-address/

I prefer the comfort and convenience of the Chevy Malibu with weights under 3500 lbs, room for 5 adults and great gas mileage.  Not all years are towable 4 down so the guides are invaluable for starting a search.  The very best place to check before buying is the owner's manual.

We tow a 2016 Ford Fiesta.  Wanted something small and economical for just the wife and I.  It is automatic and what is nice about it is when you go "through" the process of brake, neutral, etc. The screen will tell you "Transmission Ready". The manual specifically states it can be flat towed and gives procedures.  They do state that "70 mph",  is the limit on towing and that the miles is unlimited.  We have the Blue Ox towing system.