TimeTraveler

Can't even hold cell phone behind wheel when stopped

I heard on the radio under a new law in Georgia, a Driver can't even hold a cell phone in their  hand, "even when stopped."

Sounds good but a slippery slope.

Holding and drinking a soda or coffee or a sandwich can get you a ticket in some areas already. Don't remember which ones, I read that about though.

We have our phones liked to the cars by blue tooth but not our MH. My have to get a new radio. Don't think our old satellite radio has that feature.

Eventually the slippery slope will stop access to the radio or possibly even buttons to blue tooth link of phone. The Nannies will not let any opportunity or trend go to waste.

We set the phones on the console when on the road and the passenger answers any calls.  If the driver needs to speak to then caller, the passenger placed the phone on handsfree and hold the phone over where the driver can hear it.  Works for us.  Our GPS has a blue tooth link and we will sometimes use it with a phone.

Ken

I think that we in the US have gotten used to doing ten other things while driving and have accepted this as normal. It shouldn't be. I've read that until recently many European (German) cars didn't even have cup holders. Why would someone need a cup holder when they were fully expected to have two hands on the wheel?

Generally speaking I'd prefer that people use common sense and concentrate on driving while driving. That would be preferable to having to pass laws demanding people use common sense. As we all know, however, common sense isn't so common. Seems like it's going to be necessary to have the law to tell people that it's just dangerous (and stupid) to do certain things while driving if they prevent one from concentrating on the task of driving.

Call them nanny laws if you want, but until people take responsibility to drive safely on the road maybe they need to be told by society to do so. The way society tells people that we want drivers to focus on driving is by passing laws saying so. Either that or we stand on the side of the road with placards, but that would probably be more distracting than what they were doing in the first place...

Using a phone without touching it is really not that difficult nowadays. Everything from Bluetooth speakerphone adapters to upgraded radios are available that make it easy. I've just installed a Kenwood in our old bus that makes it seamless to not only answer the phone, but to stream Sirius and all my other media to it while driving.

I'm old fashion I guess.  Got along fine with out a cell phone, for my working life!  Now, I still get along fine, my phone is on vibrate when I drive...when I stop for lunch or fuel, I'll look at it.  No message, no call back.  Pretty near everyone I know, use texting...easy to tell them, I'll get back latter.  Even family in Europe understand that.

Any kind of sense, disappeared in 1992!  :P  

Using a phone without touching it is also dangerous. Many times the person driving is driving by instinct and concentrating on what is being spoken/listened to.  My phone is on my belt and when it rings I hand it to DW in the passenger seat. She then keeps it until out final stop of the day when  I get it back.  Not a problem. However, we do have hands free in both the car and RV, plus I have blue tooth to my hearing aids, but if I do answer I'll still tell them to hold and pass the phone over to DW.

I also like the no phone while driving rule, but my job requires that I do answer all calls, they even supply my cell phone. I have a Bluetooth setup in all my vehicles to make that possible, and I will on most occasions pull over to talk as quickly as possible. Walmart and I am sure others have a hands free Bluetooth device for vehicles for under thirty dollars, my daughter has one in her car and says that it works very well.

29 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Its a sad day for humanity when laws have to dictate what should be common sense :(

Isn't that the truth. 

I don't understand why there hasn't been a law passed to deactivate a phone while moving. If nothing else, deactivate the texting ability of the phone while moving. The technology is there.

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

If nothing else, deactivate the texting ability of the phone while moving. The technology is there.

............... Yep I agree!

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

Isn't that the truth. 

I don't understand why there hasn't been a law passed to deactivate a phone while moving. If nothing else, deactivate the texting ability of the phone while moving. The technology is there.

Problem would be with anyone in the passenger seat, on a bus, on a train, or possibly walking across an office.

9 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Problem would be with anyone in the passenger seat, on a bus, on a train, or possibly walking across an office.

That's my guess also! The technology would have to be a little more advanced like a sensor in the steering wheel that the phone see's that is activated while the car was in motion and disabled the cell phone for the driver. But then you would have people holding the phone in their right arm on the passenger side as a work around :blink:

The application "Waze" will ask if you are a driver or passenger.  DW uses it and always says "passenger" but I don't know what would happen if you say "driver."  Then, the driver could just answer "passenger" to circumvent any disablement.

21 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

The application "Waze" will ask if you are a driver or passenger.  DW uses it and always says "passenger" but I don't know what would happen if you say "driver."  Then, the driver could just answer "passenger" to circumvent any disablement.

I deleted WAZE as it kept sending me into places that it shouldn't, even though it was supposedly set up right. 

Bill

3 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I deleted WAZE as it kept sending me into places that it shouldn't, even though it was supposedly set up right. 

Bill

like over the GW???? :P:lol:

3 minutes ago, jleamont said:

like over the GW???? :P:lol:

No that was a different miracle toy. More like yes there is a dirt track out the back of this housing development in Conrow north of Houston on I-45 and yes you can bypass the traffic accident and backed up traffic. You will see the headwaters of Lake Conroe, some of the Sam Houston National Forest. But yes it got us around the stopped traffic.:P:lol::o

Bill

Two things, you''ll never get from a Woman:  Logic and stop talking!  :angry:  If you really want to P's her off, watch your favorite sport, with the sound off.  :lol:  Drives them nuts, they can't interrupt you.

One thing I have learned in 54 year of marriage, "Do not intently go out of your way to Tick Off The Wife." :wacko:

I get into enough trouble accidently without going looking for some.

Herman

On 5/7/2018 at 3:24 PM, hermanmullins said:

One thing I have learned in 54 year of marriage, "Do not intently go out of your way to Tick Off The Wife." :wacko:

Herman

Agree. All I say is OK and I catch it.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, hermanmullins said:

ne thing I have learned in 54 year of marriage, "Do not intently go out of your way to Tick Off The Wife." :wacko:

Herman

I'm in the same boat Herman, 54 years and still can't tip toe lightly enough.:P

On 5/7/2018 at 4:50 AM, Elkhartjim said:

Isn't that the truth. 

My iPhone 8 has that feature.  When the vehicle is moving it blocks the functions that require pushing buttons.  You can over ride that function if the passenger is using  the phone.  I just changed out my dash radio because it played cassettes!  I got one with cd player and blue tooth for 2 phones.  It has auto answer so when I get a call all I have to do is talk.

And the focus is on he talk and not the driving. Most times a cell phone talker doesn't even know where they are and are driving by instinct.

It seems like the unintended consequences of a law are often worse than the problem it was originally intended to solve. Maybe that’s just me!🤷‍♂️

But back to the important subject. I get in trouble from DW for what I say and in just as much if I don’t say anything!🤪

Paul

Bruce,

How well can you hear on the Blue Tooth in your coach? And how is the voice transmission? I have tried my Garmin's Blue Tooth but it wasn't very good.

C U N Gillette,

Herman

15 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Bruce,

How well can you hear on the Blue Tooth in your coach? And how is the voice transmission? I have tried my Garmin's Blue Tooth but it wasn't very good.

C U N Gillette,

Herman

I'm not Bruce, but my blue tooth is built into the monitor and it sounds real good.

23 hours ago, Pawoodtx said:

It seems like the unintended consequences of a law are often worse than the problem it was originally intended to solve. Maybe that’s just me!🤷‍♂️

But back to the important subject. I get in trouble from DW for what I say and in just as much if I don’t say anything!🤪

Paul

Paull

I just swap the foot in my mouth.