punxsyjumper

Noisy whistle at 60+ mph

I have an annoying whistle at 60 mph and above. We tried to locate it but so far, nothing. It's definitely up front and up high. Thought it was the CB antenna but nope, not that. Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions short of putting it in a wind tunnel.

Get some wide blue tape (so it will not leave a residue).  Start taping off  the "likely suspects".

BTW,  mirrors often contribute to this.

5 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Get some wide blue tape (so it will not leave a residue).  Start taping off  the "likely suspects".

BTW,  mirrors often contribute to this.

Great idea, blue painters tape. I got some. Thank you Sir

1 hour ago, Punxsyjumper said:

I have an annoying whistle at 60 mph and above. We tried to locate it but so far, nothing. It's definitely up front and up high. Thought it was the CB antenna but nope, not that. Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions short of putting it in a wind tunnel.

Like Brett said also see if you can change the angle of the mirrors.

Without seeing it, it is just a guess. Taping things will change the wind flow . Good luck.

Bill

Perhaps using a mechanics stethoscope will help isolate where it's coming from. Here's one example:

https://www.grainger.com/product/2ZPG5?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916717357!!!g!82496303157!&ef_id=VnSE@wAABSlQfQtu:20180505163320:s

These are useful when trying to narrow down the source of a noise, whether in an engine, body, or wind noise. One person drives while the other pokes around listening with the scope.

You need to feed the bird, every once in a while! :rolleyes: Sorry, the Devil made me say it. :ph34r::lol:  Mine was the passenger side mirror & steering column rubber boot, on a 2007 WB Tour.  

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Are we now back on topic?  2 Moderators on "Time Out" ?

Ya, but even Moderators get to play occasionally.  After all, it was Cinco de Mayo!

:lol::D That by it's self, say's it all....now I can do it on Clown day.  Since 90 % of them, are still dripping wet up here, it's a real low profile May 5th!  ICE got 126 in the last 2 weeks!!!

Forget the "Wine pump" I'm pulling up to the Beer pump.

All great advice, even yours Herman, haha. I do have some tape and I'm going to get one of those stethoscopes. Thanks Guys, I'll let ya know how things turn out.

1 hour ago, Punxsyjumper said:

Forget the "Wine pump" I'm pulling up to the Beer pump.

All great advice, even yours Herman, haha. I do have some tape and I'm going to get one of those stethoscopes. Thanks Guys, I'll let ya know how things turn out.

Someone breazed by one that is definitely worth checking. There are supposed to be some rubber drain plugs in the tracks of your sliding windows. Those little weep holes will make a lot of noise if thee plugs are gone. 

Bill

Antennas on the roof? Mine are tilted back and whistle a little, especially the CB, it has a coil in it like an old car phone antenna. I also get some from the headlight area, thought it was the generator cover, I replaced the gasket on that, didn't fix it! When i put the nose protector on it gets quiet :)....so long trips nose protector come on while on the road and off when we get to the CG.

If you do find it a roof-top item, you may need to make a "wind deflector".  I had to do that on one of our coaches, as the Wingard antenna was the noise maker.  Just took a 6" by 18" piece of aluminum (any box store) and bent a 30 degree angle in one inch of the 6" and then screwed it to the roof (with proper sealant).

7 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Someone breazed by one that is definitely worth checking. There are supposed to be some rubber drain plugs in the tracks of your sliding windows. Those little weep holes will make a lot of noise if thee plugs are gone. 

Bill

There could be something to that. I do have a long deflector covering 2 of the drain slots on the driver side. The other one and the 2 on the DW side have the silicone where they were but they were never with the coach when I got it. Interesting.