Although, as I've posted, I've never felt a need for a supplemental braking system and am not required to have one in Texas, where my vehicles are registered, I am hoping to travel this summer in several states where such systems are required, and I don't want to encounter any problem for not having one.  Therefore, I am considering installing a RoadMaster InvisiBrake because once the unit it installed under the driver's seat, you NEVER have to connect or disconnect it: it just works automatically whenever the toad is connected to the coach.  Anyone have any experience with this system?  I know that RoadMaster is a reliable company--my tow bar is by it--and there are many places within a reasonable drive of me that could install an InvisiBrake.  

The Invisibrake is an excellent choice (we have had them on our last two toads) IF you will be keeping the toad for awhile. 

Said another way, if you change cars often, you would probably want a more "portable" system.  That is why Roadmaster Corp makes several typed of toad brakes-- on single type fits everyone's needs.

I had the invisibrake on 2 Jeeps and a Colorado!  Nothing wrong with that unit.  I found M&G in Perry 2 years ago, I now prefer it because it works without having an attachment wire added to my brake petal.  Also, most of my Jeep use is in the San Juan Mountains of CO. and the Lincoln National Forest of NM.  Don't have to worry about getting unit wet.

Why, Wolfe 10, do you say that the InvisiBrake  is a good choice only " if you will be keeping the toad for a while"?   I understand that the wiring from the InvisiBrake unit under the driver's seat and in the engine compartment of the toad, so as to activate the toad's brakes when the motorhome's brake lights are activated, may not be transferable, but surely the unit under the driver's seat could be removed and installed in a different toad.  (My toad is running well, but it is old and will have to be replaced in the not far distant future, if I am still traveling then.)    Not being a portable device that has to be installed in the toad to tow it, and then removed in order to drive the toad, is the principle advantage that I see in the Invisibrake. 

You can move it from one toad to another....generally it's a pain.  If your on top of the install, tell them that you don't want the controller under any seat.  Otherwise, you will have to remove that seat in order to get at control box!  I still have mine (inactive), in a water proof box, under the hood of my Jeep.  The way I had it installed, will be time consuming to remove it...

10 hours ago, gypsyken said:

Why, Wolfe 10, do you say that the InvisiBrake  is a good choice only " if you will be keeping the toad for a while"?   I understand that the wiring from the InvisiBrake unit under the driver's seat and in the engine compartment of the toad, so as to activate the toad's brakes when the motorhome's brake lights are activated, may not be transferable, but surely the unit under the driver's seat could be removed and installed in a different toad.  (My toad is running well, but it is old and will have to be replaced in the not far distant future, if I am still traveling then.)    Not being a portable device that has to be installed in the toad to tow it, and then removed in order to drive the toad, is the principle advantage that I see in the Invisibrake. 

You are absolutely correct, all but the wiring can be moved (at least when the Roadmaster factory moved mine, they used new wiring-- said too many issues with assuming old wiring was good) from one to another.  But, there is a reasonable amount of labor involved.  So, for those who choose a new toad every year or two two different vehicles (some tow a car or off road vehicle depending on where they are headed) there are other choices that may make more sense.

A bit off Topic but I had a Remco Disconnect on our last truck. I left it on the truck when we traded it.

I still wonder what the person that bought it thought "wonder what this Red Knob is for and pulls it then can't move the truck'. :rolleyes:

Now back on Topic, like Carl I have M&G brake on my truck. It is an easy installation. I had the first unit installed on my Yukon by Marty ay M&G. I have installed the next three myself. The hardest thing I have each time is putting the diodes in for the tail, turn and stop lights and running the wiring to the front of the vehicle. After that all I have to do is plug in the air connection and clip on the disconnect safety cable, then the brakes are ready to travel. As easy as one, two and five. Three and four are hooking up the tow bar and putting it in four wheel neutral.:P

Herman

Thanks all.  I'm thinking that maybe I should simply continue to do what I've done for 25 years, all over North America (every continental U.S. state, every Canadian province and territory [except Nunavut, which has no roads], every Mexican state): don't bother with an auxiliary braking system that I've never needed.

I and, I suspect many others would question that for three reasons:

1.  Would hate to be in an accident where stopping 15' sooner would avoid it. And, physics says: same weight, more braking, stops shorter.

2.  Would hate to be involved in an accident and it be found that I was operating illegally in that state.

3.  Would really hate to be involved in an accident and have the other guy's attorney point out that our vehicles did not meet one of the state's important safety requirements.

All three are good, valid point's.  What goes in Texas, don't go in Canada & Canada is a foreign country!  You have not had trouble, until you don't comply with the laws of another Country! 

But, I guess you feel blessed and laws don't apply to you!  Just the rest of us.  

It's not just the wiring that is a hassle when changing from one toad to another.  There is also the brake piston, and the cable to the brake pedal, which on my toad is mounted under the panel under the drivers side door, with the cable running under the carpet to the pulley behind the brake pedal.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Mike, that's the main reason I have M&G, no cable!  No pulley! :P

YUP< and i can gut it from our jeep in less than an hour if we decide to trade it in. 

I opted for the more portable unit, a Blue Ox Patriot II.  To set it up for travel, set it on the floor in front of the driver's seat, adjust the driver's seat so it is just touching the back of the Patriot, attach the Patriot's control rod foot to the brake pedal, plug in the 12 volt and push the "set up" button.  When the "set up" button is pushed, the control rod will push the brake pedal all the way in, then come all the way back out.  Done.  There is a wireless controller in the coach that lets you adjust braking action from the cockpit.

Invisibrake is also not fully proportional. That and the installation were a turn off for me. The Brake buddy Stealth is similar and is fully proportional.