f457930

Question About Aluminum Wheels

I have the polished aluminum wheels.  

They seem to oxidize and look like crap soon after I polish them. 

Is it possible to put a chrome finish on them so that they shine with soap and water? 

Or if not chrome something else?

It takes a lot of elbow grease to get them shiny and doesn't seem to last long.

thanks

Are you sure that you have "Polished Alcoa Wheels" ?  I just wash my Alcoa's with soap and water, rinse and dry!

There are a few sealants out there designed for aluminum wheels, some have better reviews than others. Do you have a truck shop in your area with a wheel detailing service? If so, perhaps they can recommend something (or even offer to apply it?)

Chrome platingAluminum takes some special processing as Chrome doesn't stick to Aluminum. You first plate with Copper, then Nickel then Chrome and the process in the aftermarket can be quite expensive.

There are spray on clear wheel "paints" that I have used. You first clean & polish your wheels then spray the clear coat. You do need to remember that any abrasive cleaning will damage the clear coat so be careful.

Alcoa Durabright Wheels retain their shiny surface for years. They are expensive but they last shiny for a very long time. Had them on my last truck and they were still shiny after seven years of use. Nothing like them that I know. Just soap and water made them look great. Perhaps somebody took advantage of your checkbook?😡