TimeTraveler

Sardine Casserole

Some of the best receipts come from some of the strangest places but I'm not sure this is one of them.

On Golden Girls Ma made a sardine casserole with oatmeal cookie crust.

Not sure that would be good eats however I like bologna and cheese, onion and pear or peach preserves.

Grand Ma viewed sardines as a treat and ate them on saltines. Whenever we walked to town she would get one or two tins, which were pricey at twenty nine cents. I liked them too.

So anyone made a sardine casserole or something/

I eat a tin of Crown Prince sardines as an afternoon snack. Love'em.$2.28 at Walmart.

Don't know about a casserole though.🤔

My wife puts them on top of her salad out of the tin which she has almost every night. I prefer them fresh then fried. But out of the tin is good also.

Maybe have to try that in a casserole

King Oscar double layer in Olive oil or tomato, excellent source of Omega-3.  I learned, on the Islands of Greece, that the Mediterranean Sardines, are much bigger, than their North Sea cousin and lend themselves for other uses, as a sardine cake fried in olive oil, very good.  Casserole?  I almost lost it....yuk! :( 

Although I have enjoyed many tins of King Oscars over the years, I decided that Crown Prince  canned in Scotland is preferable vs Morroco. I am now engaged in trying to repair damage from a very mild heart attack caused by too much prednisone prescribed by a local doc. Second day I had the classic left arm pain, sweats, and very mild chest pain. I waited it out because I had to take Betty to Greater Baltimore Medical Center for a procedure.

I now continue to enjoy my sardines along with Quonol and Swanson SuperDHA 500 fatty acids. A stress test (what a treat) revealed the mild attack. When I finally give it up to the ghost, there will probably be tins of sardines in our pantry. Love'em.

TT.  Shying away from trying a sardine casserole, is not a diet ! :P:lol:

Byron.  Be carful and if there is a next time....911 is your friend.  Get up and sit, do not lay down!!!  In regards to Prednisone, lots of water will do the same. 

If my dog won't eat Morocco, neither will I.  They both love Prince and King Oscar in oil. :) 

Byron,

I know that must have been scary. If for any reason you feel like that again. You are someone call 911 immediately and as Carl said sit down and take an Aspirin (325 mg if possible) with a lot of water.

I hope Betty's procedure went well and you get better yourself.

Herman 

12 hours ago, obedb said:

econd day I had the classic left arm pain, sweats, and very mild chest pain.

OMG! Take it easy! What Herman said and believe it or not COUGH. Consider it a self induced chest compression. 

Sardines, never tried them, my grandfather would eat them for a snack, those and Italian log hot peppers pan fried, use to tell me to "try one, it will put hair on your chest boy! I went for the peppers, probably my first mistake...wow were they hot for an 8yr old kid :blink: 

I looked up the recipe for the sardine casserole and it's usually called Mediterranean Casserole.

It is similar to a Portuguese dish called Bacalhau Assado. Since my wife was born and raised in Portugal (Azores),

we eat that quite often. I'll stick with using Cod instead. And man o man is it yummy.

My Lady, Linda's whole family on her mothers side, was from the Azores Islands....most went to Bermuda first, then scattered all over.  Linda has found and has regular contact with over a thousand cousins, etc.  Family was Mello & Lima/Lema.  

Bon Dia Linda. My wife, Lucia, and family generations are from Santa Maria. Her family name was Chaves. Mi madre's familia was from Faial via Lisboa.  

Must be why we could live on fish. I've been to all those places a few times. Santa Maria my favorite. Many family still there.

My favorite also!  Been there many times before Linda, next year, I'll give her a visual...she has never been!  I agree with the Cod, I grew up on Cod and Cod cheeks, tongue and tail,  in Norway.  

Thanks guys on the attack. Sat up straight, chewed an aspirin, and toughed it out. Probably should not have done it that way, but my CPR qualified nurse was nearby. Checked on Prednisone. Supposed to be the choice for arthritic pain but it can also cause heart  attacks. In my case  Polymyalgia Rheumatica was the reason it was prescribed. Had it five years ago but could not get an appointment  with the Rheumatologist that treated me. Told my current Doc that I was sure it was 10 milligrams the first time. Was told to go ahead and take the 20 milligram tablet. Two days later stuff happened. So far so good.

Sardines/ used to buy a brand that was caught and packaged in Portugal. Pricey but supposedly a true sardine. Hard to find so I settle for Crown Prince or King Oscar. The casserole mentioned is starting to sound good. Gonna look for a recipe on the web

Joe/ I will remember the cough!  Seems to me that you volunteered with the local fire department .

I never had a sardine with a pedigree !  One of the biggest Sardine Factories was in Monterey, CA.  But as I wrote earlier, there is the Med and the NSea, also Pacific and off the coast of So. Chili.  So if Portugal claims to have the thru sardine, OK. 

10 hours ago, obedb said:

Seems to me that you volunteered with the local fire department .

YUP, was also an EMT, although that expired in 1993-1994 :o

Hopefully that is behind you now!

Been there done that Byron...be good to yourself for a little while It has been 8 years since mine. Happy now with a stent.  I too have been eating those little delicacies on saltines for decades, since I was a little kid.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:13 PM, obedb said:

Thanks guys on the attack. Sat up straight, chewed an aspirin, and toughed it out. Probably should not have done it that way, but my CPR qualified nurse was nearby. Checked on Prednisone. Supposed to be the choice for arthritic pain but it can also cause heart  attacks. In my case  Polymyalgia Rheumatica was the reason it was prescribed. Had it five years ago but could not get an appointment  with the Rheumatologist that treated me. Told my current Doc that I was sure it was 10 milligrams the first time. Was told to go ahead and take the 20 milligram tablet. Two days later stuff happened. So far so good.

Sardines/ used to buy a brand that was caught and packaged in Portugal. Pricey but supposedly a true sardine. Hard to find so I settle for Crown Prince or King Oscar. The casserole mentioned is starting to sound good. Gonna look for a recipe on the web

Joe/ I will remember the cough!  Seems to me that you volunteered with the local fire department .

Glad you made it. The Sardines Grand Ma bought had red lettering and fish on the tin. Sweden or Norway. Her Dad was from the Swedish Colony here in Tn.