rfsod48

Westward winter migration

Question

We are starting to plan our winter trip and would appreciate suggestions on the gulf coast from Mobile to Corpus Christi. We will eventually end up in Arizona but would like to visit the gulf first. Just short term stays of no more than 3-4 days. We plan to return to Texas Hill Country on the way out and maybe even Big Bend area again.

Thanks for the help,

Roland

Well, combined there is over 1600 miles of Gulf Coast.  Texas, although not the longest, and 367 miles. 

Now if you wish to visit the Gulf Coast South of Houston I can give you a few campgrounds in the area that you could stay at.

If you are heading to Corpus I would suggest taking the Blue Water Highway out of Galveston, picking up Hwy 35 down the road and follow your nose to Corpus. This would keep you off the interstates.

I have seen some of the CG's in Corpus and I would suggest staying on the outskirts, like Rockport where the CG's are nicer.

Roland.

Can you be a little more specific, in regards to what you wish to do at each location and time frame?  You can blow a whole Winter in the above mentioned 1,600 miles!  Said another way, if it's 2 weeks?  Your stuck on I-10 to El Paso! :P  Mobil to El Paso = 1,200+ miles!  Via the Gulf Coast = 2,300+/- miles! :lol:

Carl C.

Thanks Guys,

What we are thinking is about a 15 day trip out to include Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston and Corpus Christi and then to Arizona. On way home will go back to Alpine and Big Bend and then to RGV and Hill Country. We will stay in Arizona for 3 months. Plan to leave early December to get out of Michigan while the getting is good.

Roland

OK, look under camping, I just did a post for Joe on Galveston...Make your reservations for Mobil, NO, Galveston and CC, within the next 2 weeks!  

There are some nice CG's in Galveston.  Sandpiper and Stella Mare are two that come to mind with Stella Mare being the nicer for space.  Sandpiper is at the East end of the seawall and much much closer to downtown Galveston.  Stella Mare is just past the West end of the seawall.  Sandpiper has a view of the Gulf. Stella Mare you have to go across the street somewhere but there are beach accesses where vehicles can drive.

Further West is Galveston Island State Park but no sewer. They do have a dump station.  Further on down is Jamaica Beach RV Park and further down is Galveston Island RV Resort and is close to San Luis Pass.  Any of those I mentioned would put you on your way down the Blue Water highway (FM-3005) and heading South to Corpus. 

For Corpus I would stay in Rockport. We had a small rally at Drifter's RV Resort and it was nice.

Look on RVparkreview.com for the areas you want to stay in and look at the ratings.

Roland.  I can't add anything to that, other than to say that Lagoons RV Park, Rockport is open again!  Rockport and Aransas Pass, got hit hard by a Hurricane in September 2017 and are suffering rebuilding of infrastructure!  The Navy has a nice Famcamp in CC and will accommodate you.  Wayne should have the # to call or just Google.

Joe, we haven’t picked a park near NO, do you know of any? I saw a post about a park that had transportation to French Quarter, trying to locate it.

I have always stayed here;

http://fqrv.com/

Its within walking distance to the French Quarter. If you go out after dark i'd drive. The resort is safe, not so sure once you leave it (gated). I have heard this place is nice;

http://www.pontchartrainlanding.com/

But its tough to get to from what I have read. I might give it a try next year

Never stayed in that Pontchartrain Landing but have spend a number of nights next door at Seabrook Marine when moving the sail boat from Texas to the Bahamas.

Would consider the park and marine safe.  I would NOT walk through the neighborhoods, nor is it in walking distance to the French Quarter.  From park to Jackson Square is a little over 6 miles.

Roland, i just looked at where Pontchartrain Landing is in relation to I-10 and followed street view. Its not a bad ride at all. Not sure why most reviews seem to complain about it. 

They do have a shuttle to take you downtown also.

Our next time down I will probably book this place, I try and avoid parks without paved roads but I guess i'll make an exception, looks like crushed sea shells are the surface on the roads and sites.

Pontchartrain Landings is the Park I was thinking about, has a shuttle to FQ. Is the FQ handicap accessible? Where do you dine while there? Always travel by our stomachs.

24 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Pontchartrain Landings is the Park I was thinking about, has a shuttle to FQ. Is the FQ handicap accessible? Where do you dine while there? Always travel by our stomachs.

I agree with Brett, I-10 through there is very simple and everything is well marked. We ate lunch here once, http://www.nohsc.com/ I had the Shrimpzilla PoBoy, I have craved that sandwich ever since! Gumbo was great also!

Dinner here one night was great also. 

http://www.kpauls.com/menus/

The problem with NO it would take you months to eat your way around the French Quarter.

Must stop here for a Beignet, they melt in your mouth! Be prepared to stand in line.

http://www.cafedumonde.com/

WE were just through the town of Big Bend, Texas off of US 90 in March as Brett suggested last Fall when I was looking for a route. At Big Bend we went North 20 some miles to Fort Davis, interesting stop and history. Then back south the same way the 20 odd miles and continued south 118 miles to Big Bend National Park. What a beautiful ride, magnificant vistas and a starkness that make how people survived out here. Either make reservations well ahead of time or plan to arrive by 10 AM at the Camp Ground at the end of the road as it is first come first served beyond reservations. We had no reservations and were inspite of out late arrival, lucky to find a spot, but had to move once as the original space was reserved for the second night we were there. Take what you need as there is little in terms of services. There is a fuel stop but quite expensive.

If you are a reader and like American History look up the book The Empire of the Southern Moon. It is a comprehensive history of the kidnapping of Cynthia Ann Parker and Quanha Parker the last Comanche Indian chief. The Texas history written about will help you geographically and is a fascinating accouting of the time, a Pulitzer Prize Finalist. I believe I found it at the Park Service headquarters of Big Bend.

Hill Country was beautiful, the roads perfect. Visit Fredricksburg, The Museum of the Pacific War and the Nimitz Museum. Allow plenty of time, one could easily spend 2 days in these museums and offers unparalleled clarity to the war. I found some great walnut fudge in town.  There is a restored PT boat also there. I did not realize the size they were nor the power supply, more than a little impressd.

If you have time make a loop around El Paso from the East up 54 to Guadalupe National Park and over to Carlsbad Caverns . By taking this route you miss nearly all the El Paso traffic. We did something similar but went through the oil fields, never again. On our way east and to Texas and US 90 south we went through El Paso on 10...it was terrible. we were fore warned, and true it was and not during the rush.

We did a similar trip this past spring coming home from Arizona, love Big Bend and Alpine. Hill Country and Fredericksburg also great. We did take the route around El Paso that Brett recommended and it worked out great. 

Bill,

Sounds like a great trip.

For those looking for an easy route to bypass El Paso (I 10 to I 10)-- works east or westbound:

Here are directions headed west, but again they are easily reversible.

I 10 west

Right/north on 375 (loop)

Right/north on U.S. 54

Left/north on MLK Blvd which is Texas FM3255 which turns into NM 213 as you cross into NM.

Left/west on NM404 back to I 10.

Completely misses El Paso and 404 goes through a cut in the mountains, not over them like 375/transmountain. Gentle grades, little traffic.

Those are real good directions, but Some where I missed a turn and wound up going through El Paso. LOL

Now I know why Brett thinks I need a Lobotomy. Do Not Go There Brett!:rolleyes:

Maybe all I need is a better map and 2 or 3 more road signs?

Rich. 

How many days recommend at Galveston and Corpus Christi to see area and get feel for future longer stay? 2-3 nights sufficient or longer? As always any favorite food places?

How many days at Galveston? Food?

3 days the first time, will give you a long wish list for second time.  There are 2 very good golf courses on Island, but I prefer the Moody Muni $35.  Galveston Country Club is semi Private, opened in 1892 and was $64 during week.

Moody Gardens Pyramids ( one is Rain Forest, one Antarctica, the other is more for kids ), Great Steakhouse on top of Moody Hotel/Resort $$$$, another Steakhouse is in Saint Louis Hotel $$$$, Mario's Italian, Landry's Seafood, Fish Tale's, The Warf, Willie G's and about 30 others!  You name the food, we got it.  On a Sunday, make reservation at the Galvez Hotel Brunch Buffet.  We are handicap friendly in 95% of the Island.

Ref: New Orleans...ACME Restaurant on Bourbon and 2nd. is a great oyster house and Benigans is a 1/2 block away.  Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon has the old Royal Orleans Restaurant.  Any café or eateries on the Jackson Square area is good to great....I would stay away from K Paul's or any "Food Channel" restaurants...all for the tourist, not authentic Créole food.  Not much Cajun food in NO.  For that you need Baton Rough or Lafayette !  NO is African/Indian fare, tomato based food, also Greek and Portuguese Sea food along the water front. 

Carl and Wayne,

has the Rockport and Corpus Christi area recovered from the hurricane or would we be better off to skip this area and go a little further south for a few days?

Rockport has recovered pretty well.

I spoke with Lagoons RV Resort and Mary Ann said they are fully open.

We are having a Rally there next May. 

Herman