rfsod48

Westward winter migration

Question

We are starting to plan our winter trip and would appreciate suggestions on the gulf coast from Mobile to Corpus Christi. We will eventually end up in Arizona but would like to visit the gulf first. Just short term stays of no more than 3-4 days. We plan to return to Texas Hill Country on the way out and maybe even Big Bend area again.

Thanks for the help,

Roland

On 5/11/2018 at 4:18 PM, rfsod48 said:

How many days recommend at Galveston and Corpus Christi to see area and get feel for future longer stay? 2-3 nights sufficient or longer? As always any favorite food places?

Roland, as Carl stated 3 nights will give you two full days to sight see. Four nights wold be a little better. Moody Gardens is a full day.  Walking the Strand is almost a half day and just driving around the island is a half day.  Tons of restaurants and all good with $$ to $$$ prices.  Move out off the Island and you can find some very nice restaurants for $ to $$ to $$$.  An example is The Fish Place, Dickinson, TX and driving there will give you some other areas to explore, like The Kemah Board Walk.

Make sure you carry the credit cards. Lots of places to shop.

If you were to stay one month in RGV and one month in Corpus Christi which would you do first? We are leaving mid December and going to NO and that area, then would go to Texas. Stay January at one location, February at another location and then go to Big Bend area for a couple of weeks. Then move to Hill Country and then wind our way home. Want to get home late April or early May.

I don't think it will matter. Just remember that the wind always blows down there.  The only month without wind is August and trust me you don't want to be in either place in August. When I speak of wind I'm talking 35-45+ mph.. One time in Corpus we were at an open CG and winds were up to 52 mph.  Had to pull in the slide on the side of the wind for the night.  If you don't have slide awnings then it is not a big problem.

Started making site reservations for westward migration tonight. Leaving Michigan on 12/26.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:34 PM, rfsod48 said:

Thanks Guys,

What we are thinking is about a 15 day trip out to include Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston and Corpus Christi and then to Arizona. On way home will go back to Alpine and Big Bend and then to RGV and Hill Country. We will stay in Arizona for 3 months. Plan to leave early December to get out of Michigan while the getting is good.

Roland

Where in Arizona do you stAY