Sign in to follow this  
sammebuck

Cupboard Of Extreme Depth

Help!! We have a 2009 Southwind 36D with the pantry beside the refrigerator. The width is only about 5 to 6 inches....and it is so deep, that I cannot even reach the back wall....needless to say, this is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone have a source for some slideouts? I have seen the basket type slide outs for home cupboards in Lowes, Home Depot etc, but they don't have very narrow ones. Someone else out there must have a suggestion or idea on this? And...nope...hubby is not a builder nor do we have those kinds of tools with us. (full timers).

Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions....... :rolleyes:

Samme Buck

2009 Southwind 36D

Our '09 Georgetown came with one as we have the same kind of pantry so I know they are out there just don't know exactly where to tell you to go. Try PPL Motorhomes.

As full timers, you may meet someone in a park where you are staying who could build a slide out for your compartment. Any time you are in a park for an extended time, check with management, post a note on a bulletin board or just talk to people. It may be a fellow camper or it may be a local cabinet maker that the management or another camper may recommend. If you don't find it at your current campground, keep trying and you'll find some talented individual who can whip up a slide out for your cabinet.

I've seen numerous RV's that have a wooden rack with a lip to keep containers on the shelf that slides out of such cabinets. I believe most RV manufacturers have their own cabinet shops since their cabinets are usually custom manufactured for their particular application. I'll be surprised if you can find an "off the shelf" item that fits your cabinet.

As full timers, you may meet someone in a park where you are staying who could build a slide out for your compartment. Any time you are in a park for an extended time, check with management, post a note on a bulletin board or just talk to people. It may be a fellow camper or it may be a local cabinet maker that the management or another camper may recommend. If you don't find it at your current campground, keep trying and you'll find some talented individual who can whip up a slide out for your cabinet.

I've seen numerous RV's that have a wooden rack with a lip to keep containers on the shelf that slides out of such cabinets. I believe most RV manufacturers have their own cabinet shops since their cabinets are usually custom manufactured for their particular application. I'll be surprised if you can find an "off the shelf" item that fits your cabinet.

Ours is a metal rack with trays on both sides of the frame that slides on rails top and bottom. It has a catch at the bottom to keep it in a locked position while traveling. I really don't think Forest River built this. It has to be available somewhere out there to buy.

Guest Wayne77590

My '08 Winnebago has two pullout patries about that width right next to the refigerator.

I'm with the suggestion of a cabinet maker being able to put one in for you.

Thanks for the input....I had a feeling I would need to customize something....but wanted to check first. You never know what people have found out there. We are "full timers" but fairly stationary for about the next year so I will post something at the campground we spend most of our time in and see what develops. THANKS!! :rolleyes: Happy camping!

My coach has the same style pantry to the right of the refrigerator, but it came with oak sliding drawers. The drawer slides are pretty much a standard slide system but require a slight lift to slide them out past the stop. I'm going to remove the whole kit'n kaboodle though and rplace those 3/4" thick oak ply boxes with something lighter like aluminum, I think doing that will reduce the weight there by close to 50 lbs. every little bit helps. :rolleyes:

2007 Itasca with the narrow pantry pullouts next to the 'fridge. 5 sliding drawers 3" high sides ~~ LOTS of wasted vertical space between pullouts ~~ good for cereal boxes; paper plates; other tall stuff but was afraid stacked canned goods might tumble into space behind drawer.

MY SOLUTION ~~ got several "6 pack" wine bottle carry totes at 'Trader Joe's' ~ very lightweight ~ same width as pullout and 9"tall ~(+-$2.00ea). Can put 3-4 4oz cn /2 16oz cn in ea pocket ~ lots of spice jars ~ oatmeal packets etc.etc. Easy to keep sorted and organized. Also works for light weight plastic storage jars in upper cabinet. They might not work for everyone but I LOVE 'EM.

I know I answered this thread awhile back, but does anyone else skim over the thread titles and read this as"Cupboard of extreme death"? :) Or is it just me? Sounds like a great movie title........ :rolleyes:

We have a Newmar Dutch Star Class A 40 ft. 2011. We have the same problem and we went to The Container Store and purchased an Elfa Basket with slide system that fits perfectly and installed it.

You can google them if you do not have a store near you. Container Store is not the cheapest but their products are fantastic, this summer when we purchased our rig we went to the store with our coach, parked in their lot and they helped us get it ready for our trip across the USA for 9 months. Well we are 5 months into the trip and what they suggested was fantastic, well worth the money and they saved us so much time.

Hope this helps. Barbara

Talk to your Lowes or Home Depot, they can special order the different sizes. You can also go to the Container Store. They have just about any and every storage solution you can think of. If they don't have it displayed ask one of the clerks they are awesome about helping customers find the right solutions.