stepingout

Replace oil filler tube

Anyone replace F53 oil filler tube?  I have a 2014 and it’s crusty. Thinking about cleaning it but not sure how difficult to do myself. 

Something's very wrong that the filler tube on a 2014 is going bad already.  What do you mean by "crusty?"  I've never seen that before and I've own a MH on a F53 chassis since 2001.

Any idea what the problem is?  My only grip is how hard it is to add oil through it because it's so close to the bottom of the dash.  I use a measuring cup to transfer oil from the jug it comes in so I can pour it down the fill tube. 

Does anyone have a fix for that problem?

Moonwink, It is hard to visualize the clearance between the dash and the oil filler tube. Could you attach a picture and offer some measurements for the group? 

There are a number of oil filler items on the market and something out there might work,  finding things that work can be challenging.

Rich.

Here's a sample.  There's not enough room to tip up a 5 Qt bottle of oil so I pour a quart at a time into a measuring cup and tip it up into the fill tube.  I use the top of a plastic bottle that is threaded to screw into the filler tube to act as a funnel on the filler tube.  A quart bottle of oil can be emptied but there's no room for the 5 quart bottle.  I can live with it but it's a pain.

Trek Oll Filler (3)-600.jpg

Trek Oll Filler (7)-600.jpg

Thanks for the link.  That got me to thinking.  Transfer Pumps. 

I remembered seeing them at dear old Harbor Freight.  Here's a picture of a battery operated one they offer that claims to pump 5-6 quarts per minute.  It just might work and it's more in my price range.  I only change oil two or three times a year (at the 3000 mile mark or close to it) so a light duty pump like this one might work.

item#63847  $8.99

image.thumb.png.0aa14fd719ca61c477ac4e024553a098.png

Description

This super-versatile battery powered transfer pump can be used with gasoline, oil, transmission fluid, water and other non-corrosive liquids. The durable impeller pump transfers over 6 quarts per minute. Perfect for home and shop use.
  • Ideal for transferring gasoline or diesel, changing oil, cleaning aquariums and more
  • Efficient battery operated pump moves over 6 quarts per minute
  • Lightweight and easy to store

Uses 2 D batteries (sold separately)

Just remember to remove the batteries after each use, can be placed in a zip lock bag and taped to the pump. I used one like that several times and didn't heed my own convictions, the batteries corroded and ruined the terminals. Pump does a fantastic job though until the corrosion set in.

I don't think the funnel would work.  Need some way to get behind the "hood" cover that pops up in the way. 

I figured on putting the whole pump in a bag to keep it clean.  No sense in pumping a bunch of trash in with clean oil - good idea to store the batteries separate.

I apologize to the OP for highjacking his post.  Does anyone have any advice for his problem?

Thanks Brett,

I'd need to stand on a stepladder and hold the funnel in front of windshield while pouring the oil out of the 5 quart bottle.  I guess it would work but it sounds like it could get messy real quick.

That is how I change the transmission fluid on our DP-- 5 gallon pail of Transynd on a 6' ladder.  No mess.