Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Front Track bar replacement

Well, got into a job and no information in the Freightliner shop manual on the proper removal and installation of the Front Track bar. Got some measurements for centering the axle left to right distances from the Left and Right brake drum, but no drawings and method of setting the distance at 7mm / 9/32 on both ends of the axle to center it on the frame.

The OEM part has developed a seal leak at one end of the bar bushing.  

I could measure the center distance of the OEM Bolts holding it in place and match that length before  installing the new one. Thing is, when the bar is removed will the frame spacing change? 

Requires the coach to be aired  up and level to do the job per freightliner.

New stabilizer parts was simple compared to this job. All the settings and info is in the Shop Manual.

Rich.

What I have done in the past is to square up the axle to the frame rails.  Set the frame rails on jack stands level and set the axle on jack stands level ride height and measure from the side of the frame to the face of the wheel mount surface.  I have done this numerous times when changing axles.

Thanks DD, The axle is not going to be moved or any bolts removed  other then both end bolts, in any way to replace the tract bar. 

The information as I read you reply - is to measure from the frame rail to the wheel and that both sides should be equal, with a tolerance of  7 mm / 9/32 in. of the center.

Now if I loosen the mounting bolts and the track bar length of the new one and the old one are equal - things should be fine and the frame rails should not move relative to the axle if nothing else is loose.

Rich. 

Rich,

Yes, with jacks lifting  weight off the axle, you may have to use a floor jack to lift one side of the axle or the other to get exact alignment.  Same as when dropping the axle to add captive caster shims.  But, the axle with a floor jack is not that hard to muscle.

I know-- you muscle and have Lois line up and start the second bolt.  See how easy it is to get in trouble!

4 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Thanks DD, The axle is not going to be moved or any bolts removed  other then both end bolts, in any way to replace the tract bar. 

The information as I read you reply - is to measure from the frame rail to the wheel and that both sides should be equal, with a tolerance of  7 mm / 9/32 in. of the center.

Now if I loosen the mounting bolts and the track bar length of the new one and the old one are equal - things should be fine and the frame rails should not move relative to the axle if nothing else is loose.

Rich. 

Once the track bar is adjusted at the correct axle ride height I would loosen the axle u bolts and retorque them.   This will release any preload one way or the other,  reducing wear on pivot parts.

Good idea, Bruce.

Rough measure left/right placement.  Install track bar (aka panhard rod).  Start engine and put coach at proper ride height.  Re-measure left/right placement and re-adjust if needed. Loosen axle U bolts and move them (if needed) to "neutral position". 

Looking at the wear on the OE bushings may give you an indication of placement.