Sign in to follow this  
hiker45

Route 395 between Bishop, CA and Carson City, NV

Question

Has anyone traveled on US 395 between Bishop, CA & Carson City in a 40 ft Class A pusher. Know there are several climbs.  Am thinking about taking US 6 east in Bishop to US 95.

6 answers to this question

Traveled that route last summer in car no major grades,  I wouldn't hesitate to travel the route with my 40 footer pulling my toad.

Jim

Hwy 395 to Hwy 6 to Hwy 95

Done that both ways, several times over the last 12 years.  A 40' DP & 2500 Chevy 4x4, Duramax Toad, 45' DP & Jeep Wrangler Toad...no problem from Kramer Junction, CA., to  Carson City, NV., then Hwy 50 (Loneliest Hwy)., Also, 395 thru OR.

Hwy. US 95 From  LV, NV., to Hwy 78 to 395.

Have no clue about Hwy 6, outside of Texas!

Ah Carl, Texas should be labeled US Highways, but alas, Hwy 6 in Texas is not a US highway.

For those coming from the West and just have to avoid Houston I'll tell them to take Hwy-6 to get to this area.

From the East, or North, I'll give the the option of Hwy 146.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:58 PM, hiker45 said:

Has anyone traveled on US 395 between Bishop, CA & Carson City in a 40 ft Class A pusher. Know there are several climbs.  Am thinking about taking US 6 east in Bishop to US 95.

Welcome to the forums! 

Ditto with manholt

US6 is a long way around.  The climbs on 395 are doable in your rig - at Bishop you're already over 4000 ft, the highest on the route north of there is around 7300

Wayne my friend, sometimes I'm allowed to be a little flippant..:D

Unless they have been thru Houston before, I send them around on Beltway 8 E or W.  Yes, there are tolls, but a lot easier than I-10 on the nerves!  What's wrong with 99  from Splendora to Sugarland, then pick up Hwy 6? Also, easier on the nerves! 

Back to the OP & topic.  US 6E, last time I was on that road, was in a 4x4 Truck about 38 years ago!  US 66 east of Barstow and US 6E of Bishop, have a lot in common, bad surface and no service!  You have a tire blow out, half way or more on US 6 going to US 95, you will need some deep pockets....I don't know if a cell phone will work out there!

Wayne, I hope you don't take it next summer!  Just to prove me wrong..:P

Hiker45. 

Hope your not thinking on doing it this Summer,  I don't do to well in 115-120+ degrees in the shade and there is no shade out there!!!  Think about your tires, cooling system, air filter, etc. on coach and toad.  Full fuel in both vehicles, full fresh water tank and empty holding tanks...I would also have a full fridge and a couple of cases of drinking water....expect the worse and hope for the best.

Good Luck on your journey!