fagnaml

Oil Drain Valve for Onan Generators

As a follow-up to my oil drain plug woes on my Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel generator, I "googled" oil drain plugs and discovered a company named "EZ Oil Drain Valve" which manufactures oil drain valves for Onan generators and several large diesel engines --> http://ezoildrainvalve.com/rv--motorhome.html

Does the forum have knowledge / experience with "permanently installed" oil drain valves on Onan generators?   Having a permanent oil drain valve would be very convenient if it always works.

Mike, look under Oil drain valve in search box, upper right on this page, we did a extensive research on that about a year or 18 months ago!  I do remember that they work on Generator...don't remember anything else.

I know I am not a fan of the permanent drain plugs. I don't think they allow the oil to drain fast enough to get all the old crud out of the pan. 

Bill

On 5/15/2018 at 10:27 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I know I am not a fan of the permanent drain plugs. I don't think they allow the oil to drain fast enough to get all the old crud out of the pan. 

Bill

YUP, that and they hang down significantly lower which any road debris can smack them and knock them off driving down the highway.

When I worked at the dealer we would remove them and hand them back to the customer, it was our policy. We were not going to be responsible for not getting all the crud from the pan as the fitting often extends into the pan 1/4" which allowed the oil and crud to dam up on the edge of the threads, plus we were not going to be responsible for it opening up after we touched it last or leaking. Drain plugs are a consumable/wear item, when they fatigue it is the responsibility of the installer to replace it. 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:23 AM, jleamont said:

YUP, that and they hang down significantly lower which any road debris can smack them and knock them off driving down the highway.

When I worked at the dealer we would remove them and hand them back to the customer, it was our policy. We were not going to be responsible for not getting all the crud from the pan as the fitting often extends into the pan 1/4" which allowed the oil and crud to dam up on the edge of the threads, plus we were not going to be responsible for it opening up after we touched it last or leaking. Drain plugs are a consumable/wear item, when they fatigue it is the responsibility of the installer to replace it. 

My son-in-law is maintenance manager for a large nationwide trucking company, his position is the same as yours.

10 hours ago, RayIN said:

My son-in-law is maintenance manager for a large nationwide trucking company, his position is the same as yours.

We have a lot in common. I’m a Fleet manager for a North east trucking company. He and I could chat for hours and laugh..:P

Guess that answers my long unasked question and a pair on them sitting in the tool box. When I got them my feeling exactly. Thank you for asking the question and J for answering

Food for thought also, diesels have magnetic drain plugs, when you remove them the build up (hopefully not a lot) should be wiped off and looked at. Those other plugs are not magnetic, if they are you would need to remove it anyway.