2013tiffin

Passenger Step well cover will not work

The step well cover on our 2013 Tiffin 36GH will not move.  We manually pushed it out the way when it got stuck half way in when retracting.  Made a sound like gear was stripping  or not engaging correctly.   Technician I have contacted indicated that we will have to remove tile floor of the coach to access the cover.  Anyone have experience with this problem? Thanks, Jeff A  

2013 tiffin, Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There have been posts that described the issue. They can be operated by air or by an electric motor turning a worm gear with a scissor type mechanism. With a grinding sound, I would go with a stripped drive gear caused by a binding in the mechanical assembly.

Rich.  

Oh, have we been here before!  What Company is the Tech from?  If it's Camping World, forget his name and contact Red Bay!  In your case, I concur with Rich!  Is your 2013 Tiffin 36' a Red DP, Phaeton DP or Allegro Bus DP?  Or are we talking about a gas unit?  They have different steps and access areas!  

It will have to be a DP since gas coaches do not have step covers. Look directly under the step cover. You should have several screws that hold the mechanism.See if that will allow it to come out so you can repair it.

Herman 

When I had my Allegro Bus, the whole motor assembly came out from under step on outside of coach...I had the same problem as you!  That was a 2011. 37'

Step well cover.

I apologize for miss reading the OP.  Don't know where my brain was, my bad.

Have had that problem both in the Tiffin and current coach.  The Tiffin cover was electric operated and mine got stuck in the out position.  There is a armature, that is attached to the worm gear by a knuckle joint and other end(to the scissor), by a smooth bolt & cotter pin.  In my case, I had to replace the armature (it had snapped in half by over extending the well cover).   It's a $29 item.  I was able to get at mine from the back of the cover box.  You need MM wrenches and a long needle nose to get at cotter pin.  Also helps to have 3 (not a typo) hands!

anyone that says the floor must come up is obviously wrong. sometimes the set screw comes loose. outside and a bright flashlight will help

spray some grease on the mechanism while you are at it

I had this happen to us as well.  The motor they put in doesn't have the capacity to pull the step in very well.  After pulling it out I noticed it said weight limit was like 100 lbs.  I bought one off ebay that could pull like 350 lbs.   Easy to change and now no more problems

Hi everyone BackhoeJ  here , the guy with gear, i just had the same problem with step cover . Easy fix just a lot of screws to take off. Its belt driven , set screws came loose but you have to take whole frame mechanism out. Easy but a lot of screws. Also Storage lid in top step has to come off (screws).

Hope this helps.

John Delmatoff

014c490dd367c9b304f5df157d5cb0063dc9c61bd4.jpg

014dbbb3c46098abdbc0ec349796d82510850701ef.jpg

01ddcb45a594b9131e251b2733c7fefab2b13fd655.jpg

015c75ee9dbd247d8aa27a8a8b3bfa5656b5c765bf.jpg

01dbb22aea7019e573c480811cec5c0795b9b6d0fc.jpg

01ddcb45a594b9131e251b2733c7fefab2b13fd655.jpg

01838c1b31ce652aff487d237d0d7c9f48c05ece65.jpg

01d7a939d22628816ada6e9160ee3456d25bda2505.jpg

01bbb4e45751068c66c13b04cf59764e13266405d6.jpg

01fea8d9128016e11a1788479de2241f12fbf4f5a1.jpg

01fc32553a2b0b688514df075f46d95718829276a9.jpg

My 2012 Monaco Knight has the same hardware as shown in BackhoeJ"s pictures. My problem was the belt was slipping and wore a spot on it and would no longer move the step.  I had mechanic pull the frame out far enough to remove the belt. because we are relocating I will be attempting to install the belt.  I've ordered the belt and will get it at my next stopover, The problem I've got is I can't get the frame out far enough to access the motor. the doorway is to narrow to pull it out as far as needed. I'm open to any suggestions.

Gary Roe, I suspect you have, Kwiiki,  or Lipper, manual steps that you fold in and out by hand and they don't hinge into its own box!  Our step cover, slide over the interior step well and the outside steps fold in on itself and stays flush with chassis...motor driven and a on off switch, auto, open door & step comes out, close door and they come in!  

The first auto steps I had was in a 1987 Barth Class A coach, mid entry and it had a electric step well cover!

Don't know if you can adapt to a 2000, 5'er, rig...HWH or Lipper industry (they bought out Kwikii).  Try the internet to see if there are adapters for each unit, or call HWH or Lipper!

Edited by manholt

We had a 2005 Sunnybrook , the steps are manual and fold up into an opening below the door. I can t recall what brand they were but I would think with a little research you could find a set of electric steps that will fit into that opening. Most steps are standard sizes..

Then you would have to configure the wiring and switch for the door. Seems like a lot of work.

Edited by campcop