dploen

Monarch Pass - Hwy 50

Question

I'm planning a trip for June and will need to get from Dolores, CO to Canon City, CO.  One option is Hwy 160 through Pagosa Springs.  The other is Hwy 50 that has to go over Monarch Pass.  I've been on Hwy 50 years ago in both a pickup and a motor cycle and I seem to remember that it gets pretty dicey and driving a class "A" would be a real white knuckle experience.  That's not what I'm looking for, let alone what my wife's reaction :o will be if she is looking down very steep drop offs.  So, does anyone have any advice or recommendations on the best route for this?  

Thanks,  Don

5 answers to this question

Take 160 it is a beautiful drive and I just was there a  week ago with a 43 foot Panther towing a loaded 24 foot Featherlite trailer. 42 MPH most of the way up with 7,800 pounds following. It is not the pass it was 30 years ago or even ten...

I went over Monarch pass in the mid 70's with a 25 ft Pace Arrow towing a Toyota station wagon without any problems as I recall.

Don,

Welcome to the Forum. 

Hwy 160 going East out of Pagosa Spring you will encounter Wolf Creek Pass going to South Fork. I think 11,000 ft. but is not to bad. I did it about 4 years ago in my 40 footer towing a Yukon.

Herman 

Don.  Welcome to the Forum!

What make, model and length rig do you have?  Toad?

I'll be doing the same in first week of July.  We will be leaving West View RV Park on 145 North of golf course.  Spent 6 Summers in Dolores River RV Park!  Back to topic, as you will note under my first name, I have a 45' and will be taking 160.  We'll be going to Gillette, WY.

Dolores to US 50 over Monarch Pass will be a lot of extra work for you. Take US160 over Wolf Creek Pass and when you enter the San Luis Valley route yourself  to Salida Co on 50. The San Luis Valley is flat so running will be good. If you read maps (today many don't ) there are several ways to find your way to Salida. I prefer Co 112 from Del Norte east to US 295 north, joining 50 at Poncha Springs. Then east to Canon City. If you have the time, visiting the Great Sand Dunes National Park before you head north out of the Valley might be worthwhile. That is why I reccommend looking at a map. 

Poncha Pass at the north end of the Valley is no big deal. US50 east from Salida is an interesting ride and quite curvy. Pay attention to your speed and do not worry about the traffic that may be behind you. There are stretches where they will be able to pass.