wvujazzman

Ideas on stopping a rocker/recliner from rocking?

Hi folks,

last fall, we installed a new Flexsteel 283r-521 rocker/recliner (that's the permanent mount) in our '03 Dutch Star.  It has a seat belt, so it can be used as a travel seat.  Only one problem... there isn't a locking mechanism to prevent the recliner from rocking while going down the road.  We have more than 2 people in the coach most times, and the person sitting in the recliner tends to get seasick from all the motion.  Flexsteel apparently used to make some sort of locking mechanism, but they don't any longer, and my furniture dealer (Bradd and Hall) can't help.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to build something to stop the rocking while traveling?  The DW would like to retain rocking capability while stopped, if possible, so I'd rather not do anything permanent unless that's the only solution.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Without seeing the mechanism I would guess a couple of rubber wedges and a couple of bungee cords to keep them in place.Think wheel chocks for your rocker. B)

Bill

Agree that it's hard to say for certain without knowing what the mechanism looks like, but perhaps there is a place in the works where pieces of the framework pass by each other and it would be possible to drill a hole and insert a metal pin when you want to hold it still.

Is there anywhere on the mechanism to drill a hole and put in a pin like we use on our tow bars?

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll head over when I get back and check out the mechanism... if I don't see anything obvious, i'll grab some pics.

Update... spoke with Flexsteel customer service... and evidently there is SUPPOSED to be an integrated rock lock on this unit.  They sent me pics, and it's missing, so there are parts en-route from the company.  That should solve the issue once and for all.  Thanks everyone for your ideas!

I was kind of thinking it should have a "factory" stop but that is one of those things that make trouble shooting stuff un seen hard.

Thanks for telling us.

Bill