dickandlois

Engine Air flow by displacement

I had some time the other day to do a little math on just how much air by volume goes through an internal combustion engine by displacement.  

The following is some of the process I went through to calculate air intake in a large gas power engine or a medium sized Diesel engine.

The PDF file covers the sources of the equations used and some interesting numbers. The rate of the air flow in MPH kind of stood out and offered a good baseline for why one wants to keep the system clean and in good condition. 

The interesting item that kind of stands out is the difference in aspirated engines and engines with the addition of turbo chargers efficiency changes. Kind of give one the key reason why when a turbo power systems power drops off so much when that system is compromised in any way.

Rich.

Engine Air flow by displacement.pdf

15 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Rich,

You know I like you. But you have way too much time on your hands.:lol::wacko::lol:

Herman

There is a reason for that right now! will expand on that at a latter time. Slowing down does not tend to slow down the curiosity ! :D

Rich.

7 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Rich,

You know I like you. But you have way too much time on your hands.:lol::wacko::lol:

Herman

Now see I was going to say that earlier when I read it but I lost my nerve to do so. :lol: