Morgans2

Albuquerque Route

Question

Two motor coaches are heading west for the Albuquerque rally. Neither of us has driven I40 to Albuquerque nor I10 back to the East.

One of our drivers doesn't have a lot of experience with his 40 footer.

Does anyone know what we should expect? Is it very curvy and mountainous along I40 in Arizona and New Mexico? What about the drive

up to Vegas? How about snow or ice?

We've also read that I10 along the border can be somewhat chancy for motor homes even though it is a U.S. interstate.

We are looking forward to the rally but would appreciate any feedback someone can give us.

Thank you.

12 answers to this question

You asked about coming from the east to Albuquerque and also about travel quite a bit further west.

Where are you coming from-- then, perhaps we can suggest a route.

I-10 is has no safety issue that I am aware of. We just traveled across Texas, NM and AZ on it within the last few weeks.

Neither I 10 nor I 40 are a problem in terms of curves and grades. Yes, one needs to know how to use their exhaust brake/engine brake to control speeds on grades, but no really steep places.

Hope to see you in Albuquerque-- we are heading that way as well.

Brett Wolfe

Thank you for your quick answer to our questions. We actually jump off from Waco Texas and plan on I40 into Albuquerque with a couple of scenic stops along the way.

You have reassured me about the inclines and the border security issue.

Your comment about the exhaust brake is important. We're in a 30' Class C. Our friends are in the 40 footer.

Brett is correct. We've traveled I-10 from CA to San Antonio numerous times and never had a problem. We routinely park at Wal-Marts or rest stops and have never encountered anything of concern. Anticipate heavy traffic through El Paso. I would try to travel through there at non-rush hour times or on weekends when traffic will be lighter.

We drove I-40 from Oklahoma City to the California border and there really is no challenge there. I-40 has some long grades that require engine braking but it is a gentle introduction to mountain driving. If you come out of Las Vegas to I-70 into Denver, Colorado you will get the advanced course in mountain driving!

Flagstaff is higher altitude and you may encounter some cold weather there in March. Snow could be a possibility but they work with it and keep the roads clear except in the worst of conditions. We came through in early April one year on our motorcycle and there was snow on the roadside but roads were clear when we came through.

Take your time and enjoy the trip and the spectacular scenery!

From Waco, the easiest route to Albuquerque (been there, done that several times) is:

I 35 north then I 35W to Ft Worth.

U.S. 287 to Amarillo

I 40 west to Albuquerque

Yes, in March, check weather forecasts and take a more southerly route if necessary.

And for controlling speeds on descents, for you (Class C) gearing down achieves the same thing as use of the exhaust/engine brake on the 40' DP. Just choose a gear that keeps your speed in equilibrium on those long descents. If you start speeding up, apply the brakes long enough to allow you to slow enough to select a lower gear. You will pick it up very quickly, and again neither route you would take has any serious/technical mountain driving.

Brett Wolfe

We are going to be traveling IH10 to El Paso and IH25 on to Albuquerque but we are located on IH10 near San

Antonio. We want to go through Truth or Consquences, NM (was Hot Springs when I was a child). I spent my

summers there for many years with my grandparents and aunt and uncle. Just want to see what it looks like now.

We have never had any problems traveling IH10 to Arizona. I really do not have any concerns other than the traffic in

El Paso. We are planning to get through there during the non peak traffic periods.

Enjoy your trip and hope to see you in Albuquerque.

I find it interesting that no one mentioned altitude. That is the Western equivalent of "watch out". For instance, you could be driving North of Flagstaff and not get any snow, but in Flagstaff you could come to a halt: Flagstaff is in the middle of the mountains, and is above a mile in elevation. Those who talk about I-40 need to take elevation into consideration, and Flagstaff always comes up in the conversation...drive safe!

I find it interesting that no one mentioned altitude. That is the Western equivalent of "watch out". For instance, you could be driving North of Flagstaff and not get any snow, but in Flagstaff you could come to a halt: Flagstaff is in the middle of the mountains, and is above a mile in elevation. Those who talk about I-40 need to take elevation into consideration, and Flagstaff always comes up in the conversation...drive safe!

Indeed, this time of year, weather IS a consideration anywhere.

But, east of Albuquerque, I 40 is a LOT lower than west of Albuquerque.

Brett

The comment about Flagstaff is right on. Flag is at a 7000 feet elevation and you can have snow there in March (especially this year). You typically will also have windy conditions between Flagstaff and Gallup, New Mexico. Use common sense and you will have no problems.

Wind! Wind! and MORE wind! Be careful and watch it especially when coming out of the interstate cuts through the mountainous terrain. BAMMM! Wind will bowl you over! Make sure your awning is strapped down and cannot unroll as the wind WILL take it if given the chance. Happened to us with our slide topper. Had to replace it. Other than that and the altitude (possible snow & ice) it's no problem. Take your time. Leave earlier than planned (days, even weeks) and take your time. There are hundreds and hundreds of places you will want to stop and see. Did I mention, take your time? Well you should. Because there is nothing (other than God) as beautiful as this great country of ours. See as much of it as you can while you can.

We just ran I40 from Flagstaff East to Oklahoma City this week March 1 - 4, 2010) in a 27 foot Class C towing a car. The road is very straight, with a few ups and downs that the transmission in your RV can probably handle by automatically downshifting without you even having to get out of cruise control. From Albuquerque on East the snows from the mid February storms were only visible on mountain tops and in areas that the sun couldn't reach. There are some places where there is potential for cross winds, but at least this week the winds were much lighter than they were when we made a similar run last October. Less Temperature change means less wind (?). The biggest deal was night time temps - it got down to the mid 20s each night. Throw an extra quilt on the bed and take the appropriate precautions about freezing pipes and tanks that are exposed. The mountains that surround I40 always make the trip worth while. I didn't know there could possibly be that many Route 66 Museums!

Doug Somerlot

2007 Itasca Cambria

VW Rabbit

If you plan to drive from Kingman, AZ to Las Vegas, NV, check with ADOT about US 93. The road across Hoover dam may problematic for a 40 footer and you both will be delayed for a security check (about 30 minutres). I cross west through Laughlin to US 95 north to Las Vegas. It a little farther, but probably faster. This will all change when the new bridge is finished in a couple of years.

Larry

Reading the posts from last year, my wife and I have decided to hang out in the USA RV Park in W. Gallup another day. The Weather Channel is forecasting sustained winds of 40 to 45 MPH - with gusts to 60 to 65 MPH between here and the continental divide. We were planning to head to Albuquerque and the Sandia Peak Arial Tramway. I have found that the online weather channel has been remarkably accurate about both conditions and timing. We are driving from Long Beach, CA to our home in Chester Springs, PA in a '99 Winnebago 38' Adventurer with a Jeep Cherokee Toad. Even though we are on something of a 'deadline-schedule' we have opted reluctantly to stay-over one more day. Tomorrow and the rest of the week seem windy but less so than today's forecast. Our friends from whom we purchased the Winnie and who are highly experienced, RVers, advised not to attempt travel in winds above 40 MPH and to think twice even then about getting out on a flat open and windy terrain. So here we are. Later, I will unhitch the Jeep and we will do some sightseeing around Gallup. We have just finished a 3 month stay in LB, avoiding the Pennsylvania winter. Also considering becoming full timers. These three months have been terrific. This weather delay just adds to the adventure and to the story we can tell our grandkids!