fagnaml

Best New ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch)

I hope i can get some information here on the replacement of my ATS. The original failed as noted in the picture below. That company Todd is out of business and I had ordered an ESCO switch as a replacement. Problem it the cables feeding the switch are #2 and the input terminals on the ESCO are #4 if that.

The question is are there currently available switches that will accept #2 wire or is there a lug that can put on the ends of the cables and inserted into the terminals of the switch?

I am assuming trimming the cable ends down to fit the into the terminals is not suggested.

Another problem is the fact tat the neutral from the generator is 2 wires thus even greater demand on the size of the terminal block and it's small size.

burn.jpg

HowieEld,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The #1 cause of the burned wire as in your picture) is a loose connection (the screw holding the wire has too little torque on it).

Have you verified that the ATS is bad (vs just bad connection on that terminal)?

Do you have enough slack in your cable to allow you to cut out the bad section-- you will need to do this whether this or a new ATS.

If not enough slack, you will need to either replace the romex wire from it's beginning point OR install a new junction box where you will make the appropriate splices.

Assuming that you are talking about the wire gauge size, are you certain that the new ATS is rated for the same capacity as the one you're replacing? Sounds like it may not be.

I'd agree with you - trimming down the existing wires to fit the new ATS is not the way to install it.

My 50-amp circuits are all running 6 ga stranded wire, which I believe is also used in most 50-amp shore power cord sets.

51 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

HowieEld,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The #1 cause of the burned wire as in your picture) is a loose connection (the screw holding the wire has too little torque on it).

Have you verified that the ATS is bad (vs just bad connection on that terminal)?

Do you have enough slack in your cable to allow you to cut out the bad section-- you will need to do this whether this or a new ATS.

If not enough slack, you will need to either replace the romex wire from it's beginning point OR install a new junction box where you will make the appropriate splices.

Looks like all of the damage is on the terminal block at the BLACK wire.  #6 wire is rates for 50 amp loads.  The wiring in the the picture doesn't look like like # 2 or #4, I would make sure that the replacement ATS has correct size terminal block for wire installed in your coach otherwise you will not be able to get a good connection.

Jim

When I zoomed in...to me it looked like #12 on Right &  #8 on Left.

Sure would help to know what kind of RV this ATS is in?

I replaced the same switch last summer with this one;

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD52V-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B003VAWNVK/ref=asc_df_B003VAWNVK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312104220456&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18078635839392378973&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007337&hvtargid=pla-449802171731&psc=1

the internal wiring is just internal to the switch, once you remove it it all goes in the trash with the switch Box. The one above only has jumper wires inside used to open and close contacts, they do not carry the load of the coach.

On 6/6/2018 at 8:56 AM, wolfe10 said:

Agree, loose connections are the #1 killer of ATS's.

#2 would be burned points from switching under heavy loads.

Exactly! Both conditions are the result of operator error  IMO. Part of my annual preventative maintenance is insuring every AC electrical connection is tight.  And DW wonders why I spend so much time in the garage_. BTW, I have a Progressive Industries ATS that is now over 20 years old, still works as designed.

Not sure if the ATS was mounted in the orientation shown in the photo (vertical mounting with the terminal strip vertical), but in the PD manual (page 3) it mentions if doing a vertical mount to keep the terminal strip going side-to-side, stating that early failure may be the result of improper mounting. Not sure if this failed ATS has the same warnings, but it would be something to consider when mounting whatever you get to replace it.