ac7880

Recommendations for remote temp montiroing via celluar connection?

I am going to start researching a simple temp monitor to install in the coach.  Temp sensor to connect via Wi-Fi to our on board wireless network, and then be able to check temps via our cell phones while away from the coach.

Even better if the wireless temp sensor is programmable to send alerts (email and/or text) at set points for high temp. Purpose: in case power goes out in hot weather, get alerts to protect pets on board from overheating (by returning to the coach).  No desire for ability to change set point on thermostat. 

Anyone already done the research?

I saw these reviews on YouTube for the Marell RV monitoring system. 

BluStream Temp Monitor

These mighty ger you started on your research. Let us know what you end up with. 

I have a system from Total Data Connect. The system has 4 data ports you can monitor 4 different temps or if the generator is running. It also has a battery backup that will keep the unit running if you lose power. The unit is cellular base so no need to have a hotspot

There phone number is 407-278-2498

2019 DUTCH STAR 4362

All you need is a simple Honeywell thermostat with wifi capability. This is what we have at home: https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Programmable-Thermostat-RTH6580WF-Requires/dp/B00Y6M2OUC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535573095&sr=8-4&keywords=honeywell+wifi+thermostats

I wanted to be able to monitor the temp in our house when we travel to be sure that things didn't freeze. I mounted the thermostat in the room I was concerned about but didn't actually connect it to the furnace (our furnace needs a different kind of thermostat that was much more expensive to make wifi). The thermostat (like any wifi thermostat) requires a power supply, so I just used a plug-in power supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PN6NCV/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total cost was under $100 and it was simple to connect the Honeywell thermostat to the wifi at home. You should be able to mount one of these in the RV and connect to the wifi so that it can notify you as needed. I believe this also can work with Alexa if you have that in your RV.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

All you need is a simple Honeywell thermostat with wifi capability. This is what we have at home: https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Programmable-Thermostat-RTH6580WF-Requires/dp/B00Y6M2OUC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535573095&sr=8-4&keywords=honeywell+wifi+thermostats

I wanted to be able to monitor the temp in our house when we travel to be sure that things didn't freeze. I mounted the thermostat in the room I was concerned about but didn't actually connect it to the furnace (our furnace needs a different kind of thermostat that was much more expensive to make wifi). The thermostat (like any wifi thermostat) requires a power supply, so I just used a plug-in power supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PN6NCV/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total cost was under $100 and it was simple to connect the Honeywell thermostat to the wifi at home. You should be able to mount one of these in the RV and connect to the wifi so that it can notify you as needed. I believe this also can work with Alexa if you have that in your RV.

Great idea Richard, but do you have a solution in a campground that has terrible or NO WiFi? The WIFI issue has always been a concern of ours and purchasing a hot spot isn't practical.

I like the Honeywell approach, we just installed a new system in our church that uses it, but as said, must have wifi for it to work. If you don't have a hotspot in the MH permanently, you can consider a prepaid plan that can be activated only while traveling, Verizon, ATT, and several others offer them, and Walmart has a hotspot device for $29.00, that claims to work with most plans.

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Great idea Richard, but do you have a solution in a campground that has terrible or NO WiFi? The WIFI issue has always been a concern of ours and purchasing a hot spot isn't practical.

I was responding to the OP who stated they wanted to connect something to their onboard wireless network. I assumed that they had a workable connection to the internet for their wireless network which would work for this system.

If you don't have reliable internet where you are parked and a hotspot is out of the question, then I don't know of any system like this that will be practical. They all rely on some type of connection to the internet, whether it be through an Ethernet cable, a wifi connection, or a hotspot. Absent an internet connection I just don't see how this would work.

All that said, if the obstacle to using a hotspot is the purchase price, and if the only thing you'll be using the hotspot for would be something like one of these thermostats, then it might be possible to use a cell phone for your hotspot. The thermostat shouldn't use all that much data, and most smartphones can be set up to run a hotspot and be able to get your thermostat online. If you've got an old smartphone you're not using, it might not be that expensive to add it to your plan with the intention of using it as a hotspot for this purpose.

14 hours ago, richard5933 said:

If you've got an old smartphone you're not using, it might not be that expensive to add it to your plan with the intention of using it as a hotspot for this purpose.

Thank you, great idea!

13 hours ago, TXiceman said:

We never have a reliable wireless network, so we went with Marcell.  So far it has worked fine.

Ken

Good to know, thank you!