studebrucer

tow dolly with or with out brakes

So ,we are new to the RV scene. We have just purchased a 3433 Newmar Ventana LE. I have learned from research that the brakes on our all but 35  footer are the same up to 40 feet. We are going to tow a Prius, on a tow dolly. I thought I would get a dolly with out brakes. Less expensive and less to maintenance and repair.  My logic, if the brakes are good for a 40 footer, they should be good for our 35 and Prius. When I was speaking with a salesperson, he told me that many states require brakes on tow dolly's.   So question 1- What do you think of my logic? Question 2- Is it true that many states require brakes? The answer to 2 may dictate my choice.

Some state have  a requirement that towed loads as low as 1500# have to have brakes.  Do not try to cheap out.  If the brakes can get you stopped 6 inches shorter, it may be the difference between stopping clear and have an accident.  

You do have to follow the road laws of any state that you travel through.

Ken

We have an Acme Tow Dolly and there is minimal maintenance required. It has Disk Braking System. Yes a lot of States require some sort of Braking, Electric or Hydraulic. To me Hydraulic is much simpler system and requires no input from you except step on the Moorhome Brakes to make it work.

The surge hydraulic brakes on Acme and several including U-Haul work great, and I would not cheap out, your 35 footer in all probability will not stop any shorter than a 40 or 40+ footer either. The braking systems are installed on a MH proportionately to their size, so assuming that shorter is better for a MH is not a good assumption. Also maintenance of brakes will not break the bank for anyone that can afford a MH.

I have a Acme with surge hydraulic disk brakes. They work great and I would not tow without brakes. 

"We have just purchased a 3433 Newmar Ventana LE." So now you want to be cheap and not buy brakes to protect your investment.:huh:

Bill

Brakes on Towed items - By All Means !!!

When you apply the brakes on the coach and there is no breaking system and the roads are wet, THAT towed item is free wheeling and will look for a way to get around what is in front of it as it slides sideways it will meet up with the coach ether at one rear corner or the other and if one of the tow bars fail you will see it parked right next to one of the rear sides of the coach.

Something a little more expensive then I want and add to that the possible ticket and some legal fees, No Thank you !!!!!

You just can not beat the laws of physic.

Rich.

The decision would be easy - get the brakes.

Do you really want to wake up every day knowing that a decision to save a few bucks caused an accident or took someone's life?

With my coach and my toad, I really don't think I need brakes.  However, I have them for one reason....CYA.:D