robandbarb

screw in tire

Can a 275/80r 22.5 radial tire be safely repaired , head of screw is about 3/8 inch and the tire is not losing air and screw is about 1 1/2 inch from edge of tread ?

Yes it can be repaired, I would opt for an inside patch, no plug. You may be lucky and have a real short screw that did not penetrate the air chamber, for safety sake, make sure that whomever removes it is prepared to fix it before removing it.

Kay.  For my personal peace of mind and the safety of my loved ones, I would replace the tire....I love myself. :lol:

I agree with Kay, Remove the screw as it will work it's way into the air chamber. I do not believe it is necessary for a patch as there is no leak. Just remove so there is not one. If it in fact it leaks after you remove it, yes patch inside. Good luck

I also agree with Kay, however I would do it at a Truck Tire Shop where if it does loose air it can be repaired right there. Not a good idea to do it where you would have to move the coach if it starts to loose air.

Herman

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I also agree with Kay, however I would do it at a Truck Tire Shop where if it does loose air it can be repaired right there. Not a good idea to do it where you would have to move the coach if it starts to loose air.

Herman

That maybe a $100 flat repair.  :blink:

The only proper repair is to dismount the tire, inspect the interior, apply a patch and a plug.

This per DOT, Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone and me. But hey what do we know.

Sounds like some of you need to attend my Tire Seminar where I show pictures why.

I had a tire repaired some time ago where they used a plug with a patch on it. It looked like a mushroom. The plug was pulled through from the inside and filled the hole while the patch part covered the hole. They said they liked a plug to prevent water penetration to the steel band. Sounded good to me.

Herman 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, hermanmullins said:

I had a tire repaired some time ago where they used a plug with a patch on it. It looked like a mushroom. The plug was pulled through from the inside and filled the hole while the patch part covered the hole. They said they liked a plug to prevent water penetration to the steel band. Sounded good to me.

Herman 

Yes those are sometimes called "combi-patch"

Just be sure the tire was dismounted and the interior of the tire was inspected for any damage.

Here is damage you would not know about if the tire was not dismounted.

Tire conditions-81.jpg