Deborahheinz

Atwood Levelers

I have Atwood levelers on my motorhome and never had a problem before this April. At first use the drivers side front started down then stopped and hung up. I used the override, in the book, to get it retracted. I tried again and both levelers hung up. I used the same over ride. Made a service appointment, and they hung up while being checked out. The repair tech cleared the computer memory and said they were fine. The next day I went out on a trip and they would not extend.  After the trip I went back to dealer. They worked perfectly the entire week he had the unit. I also tried them before leaving. A week later and I’m on another trip: same problem. The drivers front would not extend and the balance of the levelers also stopped. Got everything retracted but alarm on leveler will not shut off when engine is on. Called dealer and he told me how to disconnect panel. Any thoughts on the problem would be greatly appreciated. I’m tired of paying for diagnostics and getting no where. Thanks!

Deborah, Could you post the Make, Model , and year of your Coach for the group?

Also, post any information you have on the Leveling system - like is it a hydraulic system or electric? along with any numbers off the control panel and or from the user manual.

The more information you can offer the better information members can offer, to try and help solve your issue.

Rich.

Yes, that looks like the correct info. Page five states the red and green lights blinking indicate loss of power to the jack. That is the light pattern I have on the fron jack that’s not working. I wonder if there is a loose connection that gets aggravated by driving. You would think after All of diagnostic time the repair tech would have checked for that.. I’m not sure though and just guessing 

That would be the starting point for me. The connections are exposed to water mixed with dirt.

If you feel OK about separating the connection - there are little plastic catches that hold the 2 parts together - that can be a little difficult at times because of the way they are designed !

Second, see if you can find a small can of CRC contact cleaner and spray a little into each part - the plug and socket sections. 

Snap it back together and cross your fingers. LOL

If that works I will pass on a second item that you might try to keep the connections in good condition. It is a little messy to work with but if you buy one tube - a little pricey, but well worth it to keep the connections in good condition !  

Keep all in the loop !!!!

Rich.

CRC is sold at many auto supply stores or in some electronic supply outlets.

I am using my 4th or 5th Atwood jack controller on my 2006 Fleetwood Expedition at $525 each. The controller is no longer available. There are two control cables that are connected to the controller. The connections are very small about the size of wire wrap pins. Over time vibration and damp location the connections will corrode. I have used the cleaner and the sealed with clear silicone. May last a year. Last time 3 years. This spring found that the pins had broken loose in the controller printed circuit board. Had to lay and solder wires to the etches on the board.  I have seal again. Atwood’s solution is a complete replacement of the whole system, jacks and electronics. When I can no longer repair, I will replace with HWH. My other two coaches with HWH never had a problem, but that is a $5,000 to $8,000 solution that I don’t want to do. 

I had the Attwood elect on my 2006 Southwind.  Total pain from date of purchase to trade in 18 months later.  That was my solution, 2007 WB Tour 40 DP,, with HWH.