BILLC

Lost SOME Power in Motor Home

Hey folks, thanks for any help you can give.

The Problem: Today part of the power went out in my motorhome (2002 Monaco Diplomat 38' diesel pusher with 202,000 miles).

1. I'm plugged into 50 amp shore power.  Volt meter has been stead 117 volt to 120 volts for 10 days.

2. Today I came home to the two a/c not working.  Looked at the thermostat; it was blank...no indication of anything - no power.

3. All the outlets work and have power.  None of the lights work.  The TV and auto satellite dish work.  Microwave and Fridge work (fridge is getting a/c, not propane power.)

4. None of the lights work.  The thermostat doesn't work.  The ceiling vent fans do not work.  The outside light does not work.

Where do I start working on to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Bill Cook

770-815-8727 

Sounds to me like you lost your 12 volt DC power?  Is your battery disconnect switch off?  Did the breaker to your converter trip?  

BILLC,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I agree, sounds like you lost 12 VDC.  Start by verifying that your "salesman switch" usually located by the door is on.

Than check voltage at batteries and their connections.

Welcome to the forum Bill C.

Everything you mentioned not working takes 12V eather for the motor or control. Have you tried using the switch to tie both battery banks together to see if you can light the lights? Like Brett said I would start at the battery bank and see if you have 12V coming out. See if you have 12V at the solenoid that ties the batteries together, 12V at the battery control center.

Let us know what you find

Bill C.

If the switch is not the problem, start looking for a fuse in the 12 volt system, normally found in the coach battery compartment, some of can be confused with a relay because some are circuit breakers and resemble relays.

Bill, I'm betting the solenoid failed. We have had this coach for 4 years, I'm on solenoid #2. I just bypassed it two weeks ago, done with it! I want to shut the power off to the house side ill turn the battery disconnect master switch. 

If yours is like ours Monaco put a diagram in the electrical bays to identify the components. 

Schematic.JPG

Fellas,

Thanks so very much for the help, time and advice.  Much appreciated!!!

It was the house battery kill switch by the entry door.  Evidently, when I was leaving, my backpack or my hand hit the stitch.  This caused me to lose all 12 volt power to the rig, but keep the shore/generator power.

Went to Affordable RV Service and Repair in Vegas.  Great folks.  Like you, they narrowed down the problem to the kill switch in the battery compartment - something I replaced three months ago, or the kill switch by the door, or a GFI plug (probably in the bathroom).

When they mentioned the kill switch by the door, a visual image of me trying to get out of the rig with a big backpack on my shoulder came to my mind's eye.

Gotta say, I felt really stupid about this whole thing.  Glad I learned this lesson when I did.

Again, thanks to each of you for your help.  It was much appreciated"!

Bill Cook 

Bill C --

Thanks for sharing!  It's experiences like this that help me progress through Motorhome Owner 101 Class !   I have a small battery "use / store" button on the switch panel that is next to the entry stairs of my motorhome.  Your experience will help me be more cautious about inadvertently bumping that switch and disconnecting my house batteries.

Every time I read postings on the forum I learn something new which makes me wonder if I will ever graduate from Motorhome 101 class.....

Mike, next time you exit with a bulky item.  Turn around and check the "Switch".  You can also, put a hinged cap over the switch. :) Your now in MH 102.:lol: