mervd

ceiling panels

I have to replace two ceiling panels, approximately 4' x 8', and need to know what type of glue to use.

The back of the panels is wood and has to be glued to a styrofoam matrix. It is a 2004 Mandalay.

Can any one tell me what would be the right glue to use? Don't want to do this job twice.

Thank you to all who can help.

Merv

Edited by mervd

What did they use originally? Without seeing it, I would probably use a 3M weather srrip adhesive in the spray and in the tube. (read the instructions) I would get it where it fits good because once you start to go together you are all in there is no pulling it apart  and starting over.

Bill

Not to disagree with bill, but 3M makes an upholstery glue, it can be purchased at most automotive parts stores, comes in a spray can, it is semi contact adhesive. You spray it on both cloth or vinyl backside, also on the substrate, let it dry, then start working the material into place, be sure to follow the directions on the can, they are critical for a good job.

Test what ever glue you use as some/many are not compatible with the Styrofoam. Many will burn as in melt the foam. You could also "try" weld wood contact cement if you have a way to spray it. I have used gallons of it over the years but do not know if it will burn the Styrofoam.  Call Styrofoam and ask the tech people what glue to use if the suggestions here do not work.

Yes Herman they do and so have I many times, and carpet tooo.  As I was thinking about this. If the panel is rigid, which it appears to be Styrofoam"s PL300 is suitable. Comes in a tube for a caulking gun it says "bonds foam to a variety of surfaces".  Good luck

The box stores (HD, Lowes) sell adhesive specifically designed for bonding foam panels to walls. It might work as well.

A big thank you to all who offered advise.

I have to decided to try a small test piece with Gorilla glue made for foam hard board.

A small test failure is better than a 4'x8' failure. Hopefully it works.

Thank you all again. Good to know so many are willing to help.

Merv