five

Air Filter

Does anybody with a DD 13 have the part number for the air filter?  I could find every filter known to man for my Cummins ISL, but not so with this engine.

Filters/filter housings are generally chosen by the chassis maker, not the engine maker.  The engine maker just gives the specs (CFM's).

So, check with your chassis maker.

Pull the old filter out it should have a number on it 

If not any good shop can measure it and come up with a part number 

Brett, while that is true several websites that deal with replacement filters have pictures and dimensions as  well as CFM ratings so it shouldn't  be to hard to find a match.

Bill

Bill, the only item that is not in the mix yet, is the filter particulate size and that number could become an issue. smaller is better, but how small can have an effect on replacement intervals and what gets through affects engine ware.

Rich. 

Bert, I snapped this photo today. DD13 in the tractor application. If this is the set up you have let me know, ill get you the part number. 

IMG_1233.JPG

Thanks for the suggestions and information, guys.  Brett's right in that the filter is put in by the chassis maker.  Freightliner doesn't have a part in stock but will be happy to order one for $186.  The problem I've seen with DD/Freightliner is that the parts all have lots of numbers and letters.  My oil filter has 11 and this air filter has 10.  When looking for an oil filter I found a great many that looked correct, but the part number was off by a digit or two, and thus no good.  And, as Joe pointed out, each installation (motor home, OTR truck, LTL truck, etc) has a different air filter.

19 minutes ago, FIVE said:

Thanks for the suggestions and information, guys.  Brett's right in that the filter is put in by the chassis maker.  Freightliner doesn't have a part in stock but will be happy to order one for $186.  The problem I've seen with DD/Freightliner is that the parts all have lots of numbers and letters.  My oil filter has 11 and this air filter has 10.  When looking for an oil filter I found a great many that looked correct, but the part number was off by a digit or two, and thus no good.  And, as Joe pointed out, each installation (motor home, OTR truck, LTL truck, etc) has a different air filter.

I have found the Wix cross reference guide excellent for determining both specs and Wix (good quality) replacements: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Bert, how many fuel filters do you have? You should have a cartridge oil and fuel right next to each other on the passenger side of the engine (opposite the turbocharger). Did the coach builder add another fuel somewhere else?

Send me your engine serial number, I can look it up and see what part numbers it’s supposed to have and send you cross reference for other manufacturers.

I’m with Brett, Wix makes a great cross reference and a great filter also. If you decide to go aftermarket just make sure it looks and has the same microns. Often times that’s not the case, in those situations I go for OEM only. 

Joe, I have three fuel filters and one fuel water separator.  The filters are a PITA to get to.  In my 09 Allegiance on a Spartan, the last basement opening, curb side, was a filter bay.  I could sit on a stool and change the two fuel filters.  On this Freightliner, the only way to get to the three filters is though the opening in the floor back in the bedroom.  Then you must lay down, and it's a stretch to reach them.  The fuel water separator is in the far rear, accessible by just lifting the engine access cover.  The last time I changed all four, I had Freightliner do it....$410.

Engine serial #: 471917S0174897.  Engine build date: Dec 2012.

Thanks.

Wow, never ran into THREE fuel filters unless one is for the generator.

For the main engine: Primary/water separator and secondary yes.

What are the PN#'s?

Brett...as I noted earlier, parts are very hard to find for anything Freightliner or DD.  Here's what is says on my bill:

Filter Kit:  082D/DDE A0000904251

Fuel/water separator cartridge:  082V/DN P551011

Under these numbers, I have a note that says, "Fuel filter kit is three filters and the fuel/separator is a Davco Fuel Pro 482 (hardware permanently mounted and the filter inside is a Donaldson P551011)." 

Wow, a Davco is a great fuel filter. 

So, does the DD engine have a secondary fuel filter (assume so) and the other filter is for the generator?? A common/good set up.

I’ll get some photos tomorrow at work of a DD13, we have two from wrecks on stands in the parts warehouse. I believe the primary and secondary are cartridges next to each other, all in line with the cartridge oil filter in front. Freightliner is notorious for adding a Davco in front of all fuel filters.

Five, look like this? 

Oil is the one labeled Detroit Diesel

Primary fuel is the little one (basically a screen)

Secondary is the other cartridge. 

DD13.JPG

I agree on all 3.  Also, looks tight on the oil.  But, also nice to not have them in 3 different locations!