tireman9

Refrigerator air circulation fan add-on

Air circulation is not a problem in residential refrigerators as they come with fans built in. However, those of us with standard RV refrigerators could use some help with moving the cool air around inside the fridg. There are battery operated fans but I prefer a more permanent solution. I simply adapted a Computer case fan and wired it to run whenever the fridge is turned on. If you can do some soldering and a bit of tinkering you can install your own fan. I found a ball bearing low current (0.18A) 70x70mm fan at the local PC repair shop for $5 or you can check Amazon or eBay. First, you need to identify the ground wire in your light (usually black wire) The 12v hot wire in my fridge was red. I attached a standard spade connector to the fan wire and using a Female to  Male spade adapter. Used some small aluminum angle to attach the fan to the side of the fridge and made sure the wires were out of the way and not touching the bulb. The biggest difficulty was the very small wire on the fan Smaller than 22 Ga so take your time striping the wire. I also used some shrink wrap to strengthen the end of the wire.  Test the wire on the light with your multi-meter to be sure you are using the always hot wires as you want the fan to run even when the door is closed.

Fan.JPG

Finished.JPG

Original switch.JPG

spade adapter.JPG

wires.JPG