tireman9

Slide Safety Lock after system failure

I have Schwintechslide on my coach. I have watched the various You Tube videos on how to change the motor etc.

If the system fails when the slide is in I can probably just live with it till I get home but if it fails when out I am stuck. Removing the motors also removes the "lock" that holds the slide in.

My back-up and work around it simple as a couple of 2x4's. I believe that with the help of some fellow campers I will be able to get the slide in without the motors but then I need to make sure it will not slide out as I drive home. The 2x4's just fit to hold the slide in. They don't take up much space and can be stored anywhere as I do not expect to ever need to use them.

Here is what it looks like with the "Lock" in place.

Slide-Out_Lock.JPG

Roger,

Hey that will work, but you might want to find a way to keep them in place as you shack, rattle and roll down the road!

You just know that they will never move much when your parked.

Rich.

A good idea.

And, even 2X2's would work fine. I did something very similar when a hydraulic line split to the slide cylinder for our bedroom slide.  Got it home just fine (FL to TX). I used 4 2X2's I cut from scraps of 2X2's I found in a dump near a small CG where we were to hold the slide at each side/top and bottom. If we had been near a box store, would have just bought some 2x2 and cut them the correct length.

Be sure they are placed so that both ends are on structural members, not just wall board.  Use velcro or in an emergency, even duct tape to hold them in place.

15 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Roger,

Hey that will work, but you might want to find a way to keep them in place as you shack, rattle and roll down the road!

You just know that they will never move much when your parked.

Rich.

Well, they only have to work long enough to get home. Also, they are a "snug" fit and I need to pound on them a little to get in place. But thanks for the observation. I just hope I never have to use them. maybe these are like carrying an umbrella so it never rains. :P

15 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

A good idea.

And, even 2X2's would work fine. I did something very similar when a hydraulic line split to the slide cylinder for our bedroom slide.  Got it home just fine (FL to TX). I used 4 2X2's I cut from scraps of 2X2's I found in a dump near a small CG where we were to hold the slide at each side/top and bottom. If we had been near a box store, would have just bought some 2x2 and cut them the correct length.

Be sure they are placed so that both ends are on structural members, not just wall board.  Use velcro or in an emergency, even duct tape to hold them in place.

Can't be 100% sure about "structural" support.  I just assumed (hoped) that Coachmen has a structure right around the opening.  I always have a roll of "Racer-Tape"  aka "duct-tape" in the toolbox and that would help keep boards centered.

Probably could have used 1x3 set vertically but had scrap 2x4 laying around and have "dead storage" space under dinette seating.

Roger,

At least in the picture, looks like there is metal visible surrounding the slide opening.  And there surely will be metal forming the "framing" of the opening.

Assume you do have braces at all four corners.