Considering trading for a Tiffin Allegra Bay 37QBD. Any one have any pros and cons for this unit. Been told the 340 ish Cummins is under powered. Has to he better than the v10 ford I now have. Thank you. 

Why do you want to buy something that is under powered if you have something that is already under powered, just more of the same? There is a lot of stuff out there that is not. Just curious...:blink:

12 hours ago, Jmholb57 said:

Considering trading for a Tiffin Allegra Bay 37QBD. Any one have any pros and cons for this unit. Been told the 340 ish Cummins is under powered. Has to he better than the v10 ford I now have. Thank you. 

Who told you it was underpowered? How many diesel coaches have you driven? Have you driven the Tiffin?

Bill

Keep in mind it is all relative. Heavy coaches have larger engines,lighter coaches have smaller engines.

I drove a 340HP Fleetwood Excursion a few years ago when we were coach shopping, it didn't feel under powered to me, I was actually quite impressed on how it performed.

I was in the middle of asking to whose and what standard does underpowered apply when Window10 decided that I needed an update.:( Anyway now 3 hours later the computer is now back up. I went to Pigeon Forge Tn., last year and was on that long hill up the parkway just after leaving exit 407, when a nice looking American Eagle passed me, I was in third gear, about 40 mph, as the Eagle passed I noticed on the rear of his coach there was "Powered by Cat 600HP", no wonder he passed like I was sitting still. I went on to the CG, setup my rig, an hour and thirty minutes passed, the Eagle pulled in beside me, the driver got out and I introduced myself and offered assistance if needed. The driver looked at me and said to me, how long have you been here, I could have sworn that I passed that coach close to I-40. I said back, yes you did, I have been here an hour and a half, you must have stopped and ate lunch. He smirked back the only lunch was sitting in traffic, I can't believe you have been here that long. Go feel my 335HP Detroit, it has already cooled down. My thinking on underpowered is not how fast you get there, but how smart did you get there.:)

20 hours ago, Jmholb57 said:

I guess you are referring to the Tiffin Allegro Bay RED (Rear Engine Diesel)?    It has more power than the Ford V-10.  However it is not a true diesel pusher with the larger engine such as the Phaeton, Allegro Bus.  It may be comparable to the Fleetwood Excursion mentioned earlier.   It is also not priced like the Phaeton and Allegro Bus.

17 hours ago, alflorida said:

However it is not a true diesel pusher with the larger engine such as the Phaeton, Allegro Bus.  It may be comparable to the Fleetwood Excursion mentioned earlier.   It is also not priced like the Phaeton and Allegro Bus.

Let me clarify that:

The RED (Rear Engine Diesel) IS, repeat IS a diesel pusher.

If a FRED (Front Engine Diesel), that is a completely different beast with front engine (hence the name) and different suspension, etc.

Engine size is another issue.

When looking at engine size/power, power to WEIGHT ratio is more telling. On long grades, with our first coach (1993 Foretravel U240 with 250 HP Caterpillar 3116) I have passed 500 HP coaches on long grades, as our coach weighted about 1/3 of what that other coach weighted.

The OP is looking at a Fred (Front Engined Diesel), not a RED (Rear Engined Diesel). The Allegro Bay 37QBD is a Fred!

The OP needs to look into the parking brake system, Freightliner is now having some issues getting parts for the chassis used for motorhomes. The last I was aware of !

Rich.

Whats the issues with a FRED? I never considered one, when we were shopping I HAD to have a full air suspension and full air brake coach, so these never came into the equation. 

51 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Whats the issues with a FRED? I never considered one, when we were shopping I HAD to have a full air suspension and full air brake coach, so these never came into the equation. 

Joe, The park brake on the Fred Chassis is applied by a foot peddle - if I have the information correct and getting the parts is an issue scene that chassis has fallen out of favor with the  coach builders. I have not spent any time digging into that. The chassis is still being built for the trucking industry I think. 

A lot that I have not looked into - just feedback from some Fred chassis owners that have had problems getting them fixed.

Rich. 

I personally don't like the noise of the engine in the front, maybe that has changed, I hope so, also the driveshaft length concerns me, and or rear end overhang. I believe that the parking brake is a driveshaft drum mount.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:26 AM, kingfr said:

The OP is looking at a Fred (Front Engined Diesel), not a RED (Rear Engined Diesel). The Allegro Bay 37QBD is a Fred!

I agree the 37QDB is a FRED.  However the FRED has a 300HP engine and the OP is asking about the 340HP engine, which is in the RED.  So there is confusion.

It is my error in not closely researching for the model number.