THARTMAN

Thinking of going to Alaska

Question

THARTMAN   

We are thinking of RVing to Alaska next summer.

Go it alone or a caravan tour??

Places to see?

Special necessary planning or equipment??

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, THARTMAN said:

Places to see?

Welcome to the forum. Well this ought to get plenty of responses. Personally I don't like caravaning. 

"Places to see?" That depends on what your interest are and how long you are going to be there.

Bill

We too and it will not happen soon enough. We plan a minimum of 3 months. Look at the Fantasy Tours for places to go. We are going to do it with no more than 3 total. 

Did it in 2001.  Went with one other coach.  No particular route or plans.  Just drove around.   Was in Valdez when the first double hull tanker was on its maiden voyage.  Got to go aboard and tour the ship. Covered a lot of miles in 2 months.  Began in Vancouver with a cruise up the inland passage.  Hit a lot of the attractions.

wolfe10   

Have driven the Alcan 3 times and cruised the inside passage 9 times (returned Monday from our last cruise).

Both are great, but scenery on the cruise is truly spectacular, not just "nice".

I cruised the inside passage 2007, truly beautiful, I like waterfalls, and there are plenty to see. Maybe someday I can retire and make that journey in the MH. The train ride at Skagway alone was worth the trip for me.

wolfe10   
15 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

I cruised the inside passage 2007, truly beautiful, I like waterfalls, and there are plenty to see. Maybe someday I can retire and make that journey in the MH. The train ride at Skagway alone was worth the trip for me.

I agree on the Skagway train ride.  BUT (large but) there was a rock slide last week, so the RR was down until they get it dug out.  We did it on a previous trip.

Amazing that there were those on the ship expressing dissatisfaction with the ship excursion desk when their RR excursion was cancelled due to the slide.  Must not THINK MUCH-- like the ship personnel (or even RR personnel) have control over rock slides in that very steep, narrow valley.

Dianne is going through editing her pictures from the trip right now. Lots of whale (Humpback and Orca), bald eagles, sea otters, sea lions, etc.  We never get tired of visiting, particularly in the Texas summer heat.

Guess we will start a new slogan-- "To see better wildlife in Alaska look outside, not on the dance floor".

On 6/6/2018 at 3:11 PM, THARTMAN said:

Places to see?

Caravan tour??  If you want everything pre-planned and are willing to move exactly when the schedule says to.  No extra time to stay longer if bad weather keeps you from seeing what was planned for that location.  Also if it is rainy and you really don't want to drive that day.  To bad, you gotta go.  But you don't have to do the planning or figure out what to see and do.  Much to rushed and regimented for us. 

By yourself???  That is the way we travel.  At our own pace, no reservations unless absolutely necessary.  We dry camp and boondock a lot so seldom stay in RV Parks.  Our Alaska trip was 4 1/2 months from Oregon to AK and back, plus another 4.5 months away from home that year, 2016. 

Places to see?  Everything which interests you.  Get a copy of Milepost and start reading. 

Here are some blogs of AK trips:

Our 2016 trip:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html

This couple mostly boondocked:  http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-602970-canada-mail-anniversary-border-eat-items-price-sumas

CoolRVers On the Road: Border Crossing to Cache Creek

http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-679979

manholt   

Been there twice.  1987 Barth 34' & 2002 Allegro 30'.  Milepost, a must have!  Like Brett, a lot of cruises from San Francisco,  Seattle and Vancouver, BC over the years...I prefer the cruising!  Linda, has also been up twice by MH, before I met her!  Never by cruise ship...that will change next year. :D 

By coach, from lower 48, I would plan on 4 months.