mac8253

Arkansas SR-7 SB from Harrison, AR to Hot Springs, AR

Question

Wanting to do the Arkansas scenic drive SR-7 southbound from Harrison to Hot Springs AR.  I'll not be pulling a toad on this trip.  RV Trip Wizard shows some elevation change and some switchbacks of sorts in the hills, but no other issues.  Good Sam trip planner also does not indicate any avoidances to be concerned with.  But the (new to me) Garmin RV770 wants nothing to do with SR-7 and refuses to let me go the length of the route without dragging me off.  Would be nice to hear from anyone who has actually driven it to see if it's fine to drive it or not.  It's supposed to be a beautiful highway and I'd sure like to drive it if it's not going to be an unnecessarily risky venture.

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

I would do SR 7 in my truck in a heartbeat. Beautiful trip. In my Motor Home, no way.

From Hot Springs to Russellville bad. Russellville to Harrison there are at least three runaway lanes. Really bad.

I would take 70 out of Hot Springs to Little Rock then I-430 North to I-40. I-40 West to Conway. Then Hwy 65 to Harrison. 

Herman 

We have done 7 in our 36' DP.

It is a beautiful drive. BUT (big BUT) it is a very "technical drive".  To do it  safely it would require your rig to be in good condition and more importantly for the driver to be an experienced mountain driver.

Said another way, this is not a route for a "put it D and go" driver!

Mac.

What Make, Model, Year & Length coach do you have?  

Been there, in a SUV, but for me (50+ years of driving class A's), I would take Herman's recommendation!  

Sorry for not including info on our MH.  It is a 36' 2016 Tiffin Allegro 34PA (Ford F53 chassis with V10 with 6-speed Tow/Haul transmission).  I have been driving Class A's since 2004 including mountains out West.  The Tow/Haul feature on this transmission is very good especially for downhills, and as I said I will not be towing on this trip.  

Unfortunately, we had heavy rain showers when heading into Harrison and forecasted additional rain along RT-7 heading South, so chose not to drive the scenic route.  We instead proceeded down US-65, which was a bit of a challenge in it's own right.  Thanks to all for your inputs