rrlowther

RV Dash A/C repair Dallas, Texas Area

Greetings everyone!  Well,  I finally found and purchased my replacement coach.  It's a 2008 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, 400 HP ISL Cummins.  So far I'm pretty happy with it.  

I did have a pre-purchase inspection done and although I was told the dash a/c was in good order, it wasn't.  Long story short I need to get it fixed as I'm getting ready to head out on a long trip for work.

I contacted my tech that I normally use and he informed me that he doesn't do dash a/c repairs.  So I'm looking for recommendations in the Dallas area.  If you know of a repair service please let me  know.

I spoke with the Newmar dealer in town, they are in Lewisville, which is a bit of a drive from me but they quoted about $1,000 w/o even seeing it.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.  I have other things I need/want done to it, but will settle for A/C right now. :)

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely nothing special about the dash A/C.

Anyone who works on automotive A/C's can do it.  To save time/money, locate the low and high pressure valves for him. 

Only possible difference is if the A/C condenser uses the CAC/radiator's fan (i.e. the A/C condenser is outboard of the CAC) the fan may not turn fast enough at 1000 RPM to move sufficient air.  I have had to lightly spray water (garden hose or even pour water on it to cool it down.

Verify both those items (valve location and location of the condenser) and anyone with gauges can work on it.

Thank you Wolfe10!  I have called two shops that I take my truck and car too, they were pretty explicit that they won't work on it. I'm calling around to see if I can find a shop that will.

Many shops to not have the room to accommodate an RV.  But the mechanicals are not "exotic"!

You may need to go by and visit--- take pictures of the valves-- that will make them more comfortable!

I had problems with no air last year & it turned out to be, the hose's where not re connected at  dash....had some camera issues fixed.  Been working fine ever since!  I'm staying over in Sweetwater and at 100+, I was driving with 3 roof AC and dash  air.

Just finding the service valves can be a major chore.  I have been looking and looking for valves on 2003 National Tradewinds-----have not found yet.  Maybe if I were about 30 years younger it would not be a problem.

revleory,  Welcome to the Forum. Been awhile between posts.

Think your coach is a Diesel pusher. Rear mounted CAC and radiator?     If that is the case The high side condenser could be mounted under the coach -near the front of the coach suspended between the frame rails. The output line will go to the dryer - the output of the dryer is the low side going to the heater / AC box mounted under the dash.

The return line should have the high side test port close to the point the line exits the condenser coil. 

Rich.

RR,

I do not know where you are located but in McKinney there is a shop called Ryan's RV Repair. His shop is East of McKinney on Hwy 380. He has his shop in a building at a place called Mr Olivers RV.  214-244-1203. Give him a call he may be able to help.

Herman

Erniee,

I agree on Starlight but Ryan has one of the buildings from where he has Ryan's RV Repair. I have not used him myself but have heard he does good work.

Herman

I have used Ryan and he did good work and I recommend him depending on where you are located I also recommend highway 78 shop in Wylie ask For Rodney and tell him Michael Hillhouse sent you.. He works on my 2003 Dutch Star 

Michael 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:32 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Look in the front on the firewall over the generator.

Bill

Yep, my air conditioner fill port is to the left(looking at gen) of the generator, below the air box. I simply went to WalMart, purchased a large can of R134A + stop leak W/gauge to tell me when the system is full. It took about 1/2 can to reach the green zone. That was 2013 when we bought our Winnebago on Spartan MM chassis, it's worked great ever since. Total cost $19. MH had been in storage 8 years prior to purchase and freon had leaked out over time.

Our A/C would need Freon and when I charged it it would work fine for maybe a day. Did the same with R134A and Stop Leak. Same results. Got out my trusty wrenches and checked all connections. All were tight but one. It took maybe no more than 1/4 turn on the Hi Pressure line at the compressor. Hasn't leaked a drop since.:)

I did spend a bit more then $19.00 on Freon and Stop leak before i found the problem.:wub:

Herman

We had ours fixed at Luxury Coach Services, 1750 E. IH 30, Rockwall. 972-771-8200. Dale Pratz is the owner and his firm, an FMCA Commercial member, is a full service RV repair & service facility.  

Ken.  How much do they charge an hour labor?

I take mine to Texas Custom Coach, Pipe Creek, TX.  Labor $85 an hour!  Yes, they do everything, from remodel to oil change...:wub: