brianreed

RV/Truck washing stations

I have had my RV for about 2 months now and it is pretty dirty.  We have taken it out 7 times for weekends and there has been some rain and a little mud on the tires.  I have asked at every Thousand Trails we have stayed in and they do not allow RV washing there.  We even stopped at two different truck stops asking if there was a wash station and still nothing.  We tracked down one place, but when we got there is was no longer in business.  I have a Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 so it is pretty big and we pull a Mini Cooper so we are extra long.  Where do you all wash your rigs?

If I went to a large truckstop like Loves do they have washing stations?

Look for "Blue Beacon Truck Wash". They do a good job and are quite reasonable. They can be found at many truck stops. I have found them at lots of Pilot/Flying Js.

Don't let them acid wash the wheels. Not good for them,  ruins the shine.

Herman 

Another option is Blue Beacon Truck washes.  about 100+ locations across the US and Canada. To find a location near you or on your travels,  go to http://www.bluebeacon.com/ for more info or download the Blue Beacon Truck Washes app from Google Play or I tunes.  Most are located right off the interstate.

Our unit is 38 feet, with our toad about 62 ft.  no issue getting both washed, usually runs about $50.

They generally do a good job. 

Probably do not have many openings that could be damaged by the Blue Beacons very high pressure sprayers, with your coach. Band Buses use them regularly. Do a walk around  to identify what could be damaged by high pressure washing. If you see something that  needs special  care to avoid problems tell the crew boss about them. He will be the guy that greets you when you exit the coach and takes you inside for payment. Make sure your windows are tightly closed. If you have aluminum wheels that could lose their shine because of " brightener" ( their term for a somewhat acidic application) used in the washing process, you can tell them No Brightener. Wheels can be protected by the covers they have.There are some shiny aluminum wheels that can withstand  somewhat acidic applications.

Unless Blue Beacon had a policy change, tips are not allowed.

Have used them many times over the years as a trucker. 

Using a 2 gallon bucket and light solution of car wash, I've never had anyone complain when I wipe my MH down.  With the heavy stuff wiped off, I follow up with Protect-All.  This doesn't take long.  I'll do one side at a time.  The front needs a wipe down with Protect-All every time we move from place to place.  It loosens the bugs and makes them easy to remove.  I use it for the windshield and rubber around it too - it protects everything.  

There's also a product called "Wash Wax ALL" that's easy to use:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006AFAWYI/ 
It's sort of expensive but easy to use.

By doing my own cleaning, I save a few bucks to keep my costs down.  That's important to me on a fixed income - your mileage may differ.

I wash mine where I keep it stored.  It takes nearly 200' of hose, but I don't trust anybody with a power washer around my MH.

Lucas Slick Mist.  Spray on wipe off, all surfaces, windows included.  Protect all for bugs! 

I have used Blue Beacon, up until 4 years ago!  It was $63 for a 45' coach & toad.  Like in Mexico!

I use wash wax all. Lucas slick mist is good too. I like wash wax all because it’s so easy. You can get a little exercise while you’re doing it!💪

Paul

Wayne,  Thanks for the tip, Was-Wax-All is a very good product and seems to work great.

I was on the road and after 2 full days in the rain our Motorhome was very dirty, and spotted a sign for a Blue Beacon truck wash and decided to go for it.  I will never ever go to another one of these again.  Their setup had you trapped so that if the line was too long you were stuck, and you could not see how long the line was until after you pulled in.  I waited for over 2 hours to get to my rig washed.  I told them I wanted a good quick wash and did not need a bunch of extra services.  They informed me that they only use sprayers on Motorhomes and not brushes because their brushes were too dirty and may damage the paint.  I found that odd, but said OK, I just need all the mud off and the wheels shiny, he informed me that if I wanted shiny wheels I needed to purchase their Citris spray for them, which I agreed to.

They finished very quickly, in about 5 mins which was a surprise because other trucks were in there 15-20 mins.  I pulled forward out of the bay and did a check.  The exterior was horrible.  The coach from the windows down were just covered in dirt.  When I told them they did not do a good job, the guy told me that they cannot use their dirty brushes and that is as clean as it will get with the sprayers.  

At that point I just had it!  I had been there for 2 hours, and was $50 lighter and still had a dirty coach.  I informed them of the dissatisfaction and he just shrugged.  I told him that I would never ever go to a Blue Beacon again.  The guy just turned around and went back in!

This place needs to be shutdown, in Wisconsin off I-90 about 130 miles east of Milwaukee.

Have never used Blue Beacon for our Phaeton.  I know how powerful their sprayers are. Have had some good washes as a trucker and some not so good from that company. After the wash is complete, you pull out and the crew boss looks things over. Not happy? They usually fix it right there. Can't  imagine a good wash without brushes being used. Your Newmar is probably more solidly built than most. I thought that you might have a shot at a good wash, but if you check my previous posts, I have never recommended them for motorhomes .

As mentioned in past posts, we have frequented Blue Beacons in our travels every year.  Out of the dozens of washes we have had, only one bad experience similar to Brian's.  Was at their Monee, Illinois location, I-57 at Exit 335.   Most times they use brushes in combination with their sprayers in this instance they didn't. 

Needless to say I wasn't happy either so I emailed Blue Beacon at wash@BlueBeacon.com. to complain.  Got a letter from their president apologizing and a free wash to make up for it.