Sign in to follow this  
brianreed

Finally got our Toad all worked out

Here is Doris, 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304, with Stella, 2007 Mini Cooper 2 maiden voyage.

Pulls so great, I went with Blue Ox.   

Just purchased two bike racks for the top on Stella, we will be pulling with Bicycles (beach cruisers) this weekend. 

IMG_1026.jpg

Brian,

A good idea to get a drop hitch so the tow bar is closer to horizontal.  Remember, in hard braking, the front end of the coach does down, the back UP.   You don't want the Mini to run "under the coach" were you to have to do a panic stop.

Good call and something that I wanted to get a measuring tape on to see what the difference really is.  From this pic it does look too far out of spec.  When I was hooking everything up I was going to do that, but in the excitement I simply forgot.

When I purchased my Blue Ox hey stated max of 3" drop. Call them and they will tell you the limits.

With that small car and as low as it is I don't think it will stay above the RV back end.

The reason you want the tow bar level is the force is greatly multiplied because of leverage if not straight in line.  A 4000 lb toad can become 4500 lb pressure on the receiver with angle change.  Although the mfg states 2-3 inches differential being ok,  0 is the best.