jhofeditz

Repair or replace?

John, There are a number of possible  answers to your question depending on the owners personal abilities and financial status. 

Having them repaired by a service facility can be costly, but replacing them can open up a different set of problems that the older coaches do not have because they where built with a simpler technology. With all the different regulations and newer convince items that open up issues caused by the push button  / wireless  and CAN system data networks that take specialized equipment to analyze.  

What do you like about the current coach and what items would be important when considering a different coach. 

It gets down to the positive and negatives of keeping the current coach verses getting a different one.

Rich.

Are you asking about repair/replace with regard to the RV or just the offending appliances?

If the rig is generally in good condition and structurally sound, then just repairing/replacing the appliances would be my choice, if possible, rather than replacing the rig.

For the appliances themselves, it seems that things like roof-top a/c units are throw-a-way items and just replaced when bad, unless the problem is just something like a bad thermostat or wiring issue. We replaced ours by ourselves, and the only difficult part was getting the unit on the roof. Any RV shop should be able to handle that job. The furnace could be repairable, depending on what's wrong with it. There are replacement circuit boards available for many of the popular furnace models out there, and sometimes it's just a simple part or cleaning that's needed to bring it back in service.

A little more information about the decision might help us give more specific advice.

I am absolutely in the "diagnose the problem" and THEN make a decision on repair vs replacement.  Can't see replacing a roof A/C when a $20 capacitor might fix it.

16 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

I am absolutely in the "diagnose the problem" and THEN make a decision on repair vs replacement.  Can't see replacing a roof A/C when a $20 capacitor might fix it.

You and I can do that but the average owner has to hire someone to do that at $100 an hour so you can see the costs mounting.

DD69.  Your not gong to replace an AC for less than $1,200 avg.  If you can't troubleshoot yourself and must heir someone, even at $100 an hour, it will not be near the cost of new!

I agree with Brett and also you...18 years is the Q?! 

Without knowing the extent of the problem with the a/c and furnace there is no way for us to really know which is best, repair or replace. However, an Atwood Air Command 15K can be had for under $700 plus another hundred or so for the interior parts if needed (just one example - I know the OP might have different needs/wants). In our case we were able to wrestle the unit onto the roof and do the install ourselves, so it was an easy decision. If someone has to pay for the install things get more complicated and expensive. It's always difficult when we start talking about throwing money into an a/c unit which is 18 years old - if it's just a few inexpensive parts then I'd go for it. If it's anything more substantial the cost/benefit equation starts tilting towards replacement.

HR probably used a "zoned" Dometic thermostat back then.  There were lots of problems with them and they no longer support it.  The problem is, if the thermostat is bad, the control board and the thermostat must be replaced.  The cost is unnecessarily high.  If it were me, I'd change out the whole AC and get a new T-stat.  The furnace shouldn't be a problem if the T-stat is the issue. 

Search for YouTube videos and previous posts for Dometic Thermostat problems. 

But of course, more information from the OP will get more precise help and direction for those of us that would like to help.  There's enough expertise following this post to be very helpful but without knowing more about what the symptoms are and the models involved, we can only guess.