watersl

Monument Valley Trip

Question

8 answers to this question

Gallup north to the four corners area on US491 (formerly US666) is an easy ride. Once you get to Farmington NM you can pick several ways to see Monument Valley. None will cause you any trouble. Check maps for how you want to continue from Farmington. 

waters.  Welcome to the Forum!

Question is.  What size RV do you have and when do you plan on going?  

Byron.   191 or 163 is no where near Farmingon!  491 of I-40 goes north to Monticello, UT.  Farmington is on 64 and no where near Monument Valley!

Carl/ must have had too much wine!😎 The decision point in New Mexico is actually Shiprock.  I guess 29 miles away in Farmington is no where near Shiprock. 😄 The roads that the O/P has suggested are all fine for 18 wheelers. Have traveled most because I have always looked for a reason to visit that area in a truck or an RV. US 491 as it leaves Gallup takes anyone interested in Monument Valley (that spills from Utah into Arizona ) exactly where they need to be.

I guess 29 miles away is no where near anything. Any RV, large or small is safe to travel the roads that the OP asked about. 

I too have been all over that area and roads are great, no big hills and plenty of places to pull off and dry camp/stop for the night. Beautiful area

Byron.  You said Farmington!

We will be going 491 to Cortez, CO. the 27th.  I'm a newbie, only been in the 4 corners area for 8 summers!

Got you topped, of course much of it was in 18wheelers. Have delivered truck parts and Harleys to Farmington. When I think of that part of New Mexico, Farmington comes quickly to mind. I should have looked at the. Map .🤔

Have come up out of Texas headed to the Salt Lake City area, and that took me through Shiprock, to Montiicello, then north on US191.

Agree with Bill on the area.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:39 AM, watersl said:

Any steep grades or hairpin curves from Gallup NM to Monument Valley (hwy 191 and 163)?

As others have noted, US491 out of Gallup then west on US64 out of Shiprock to US160. Because you don't want any steep grades you need to continue to Kayenta then US163 to Monument Valley. If you use US191 to get to US163 and enter into Monument Valley from Mexican Hat you will need to do a 10% grade coming out of Mexican Hat.

If you plan on traveling the west you really need to get used to steep and curvey roads otherwise you will be missing lots of cool places.

I have to go look at that one, don't remember it. It has been decades since I was in Mexican Hat and in a Porsche I am sure...grade would make no difference.