kkugler

BRYCE CANYON NATIONAL PARK

Question

We are planning to stop at Bryce Canyon on the way back from Zion n.p. and was wondering how long of a stay we should plan to see the sights. we will be heading to Moab after for for few days.  Any input on where to stay and sights will be appreciated. it will be around mid september and we have a 37' class a towing.

4 answers to this question

Oh goodness yes...The RV Park just outside the West park entrance is terrific. We spent three days there. If I were able to still hike it would have been a week! If you have an ATV or UTV there are many trails on the RV Park site which are worth a ride for sure. Utilize the park bus service, it is very good. Since you are going then to MOAB, go out the back way 12 from Bryce it is a stunning drive and through Capital Reef National Park and then 24 to Hanksville and 95 over to Blanding and up 191 to Moab. See everything you have time to stop and see, it is all amazing, many places to stop and dry camp. I have in the 80s backpacked more than 200 miles of the back country in this area and never tired of it. Near Escalante and just north is Boulder and in between is Box Death Hollow Wilderness. I backpacked that, the Boulder Mail Trail from Boulder to Escalante with 8 Boy Scouts. The canyon is better than a thousand feet deep, spectacular. Somewhere along the line 3 burros were lost over the edge of the trail hence the name. 

You can drive or take the bus to the overlooks inside the park in a days time, so just an overnight stay.  Or you can do several hikes down below the rim, one each day for 3-5 days.  And you could also add a day trip to Kodachrome State Park, for another day.  And another day to go to Red Canyon for hikes as well: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixie/recarea/?recid=24944.  There are also ranger lead hikes inside Bryce. 

All depends on what you want to do.  1 day to 2 weeks.

14 hours ago, alflorida said:

All depends on what you want to do.  1 day to 2 weeks.

I had to stay 3 1/2 weeks in that area.;)

Then on to Moab, Arches and all 3 sections of Canyonlands.

Bill

Ruby's campground just outside of Bryce is nice.  I think you could plan on at least 2 full days there to enjoy it.  We stayed 4, and filled them all.