vwandell

Locating inverter outlets

I am a new owner of a 2007 Monaco Knight. I was quite surprised when I read the manual and it stated that most of the outlets were powered by the inverter but had no information on which did and which did not. I do notice that some outlets are white and some ivory. Is this a clue?  I am going to use the inverter for the first time this weekend and it would be handy to know. 

Thanks in advance. 

While  unplugged, make sure the inverter is on.  Take a small light or 120 volt fan and check each outlet.  Mark the ones that operate from the inverter.

Ken

3 hours ago, vwandell said:

I am a new owner of a 2007 Monaco Knight. I was quite surprised when I read the manual and it stated that most of the outlets were powered by the inverter but had no information on which did and which did not. I do notice that some outlets are white and some ivory. Is this a clue?  I am going to use the inverter for the first time this weekend and it would be handy to know. 

Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Kens suggestion for finding what outlets are powered by the inverter is a good one. The common 120 volt wiring from Monaco - The inverter is a Xantrex freedom 2000 watt  modified sine-wave, that has 2-120 volt circuit breakers mounted in the unit. One circuit is dedicated to the Microwave and that circuit has a GFI outlet, that has the possibility of feeding  one circuit. often the bathroom, but no hair drier and microwave at the same time !!!!

The second circuit from the inverter is most often wired to the dining area and extends to the entertainment equipment. Not a good idea to try to make coffee and toaster at the same time or to run the TV - the circuit is limited to 15 amps in most cases.

The amount of AC available from the inverter - is limited by the size of the house battery bank and the condition of the batteries. Always remember that those same batteries supply the 12 volts for all the appliances and lighting circuits. You might need to run the generator at times to get enough power and to recharge the coach batteries.  

There are breakers in the inverter as mentioned above and there is a transfer relay on a time delay that often powers the microwave when on shore power. 

The only way to really know how your coach is wired is to get PDF drawings from Monaco.

Rich.

19 hours ago, TXiceman said:

While  unplugged, make sure the inverter is on.  Take a small light or 120 volt fan and check each outlet.  Mark the ones that operate from the inverter.

Ken

That's what I did.  Found out every one in the coach is on the inverter.

Keep in mind that you need to watch what you have plugged in and on when not plugged into shore power, but when plugged in the inverter has a by pass relay to connect those outlets to shore power. Ours is fed from the shore power with a 30 amp breaker, so you will be able to use more power than when it is inverting. 

As Ross said, MOST inverters (or inverter/chargers) have a built-in ATS.  So when they see 120 VAC from shore power or generator, they merely "pass it through".

Post what inverter or inverter/charger you have and we can confirm that is how YOURS works.