rcieslak67

Auxiliary Air Tank

We have a 2009 Holiday Rambler Scepter and it was purchased in November of 2017. I have had issues with surging brake air pressure, 70-110 psi. We have discovered an auxiliary air tank located in the rear area of the coach with multiple air lines, plus the check valve has failed and there is no identification anywhere that can be found on the tank. The coach is now located at the REV service facility in Decatur, Indiana. The issue we have found is they have never seen a system like this or who manufactures them. Does any one have any knowledge of this type of system as we are not even sure just what this system would be used for as it is not original to the coach. I'm going to ask REV to send me a picture and I will post it as soon as I can.

1 hour ago, rcieslak67 said:

Referring to a toad just what are we talking about, a trailer?

rcieslake67, Welcome to the FMCA Forum

This might help.

Rich

qa.svg

Installing SMI Air Force One Supplemental Braking System on 40 Foot Dutchcraft on Spartan Chassis

Question:

What lines to I use to install air force one on my 40ft Dutchcraft/dutch house on Spartan Chassis. How do I install this unit?

asked by: Jimbo F

Expert Reply:

When installing the SMI Air Force One Supplemental Braking System For Motor Homes with Air Brakes # SM99243 you will need to find the supply air line and the metered air line. 

On the Dutchcraft motor home on the Spartan Chassis the larger 5/8 inch line is the supply air line, and the smaller 3/8 inch line below the supply air line is the metered air line. 

I have attached a photo showing witch line is the supply and which line is the metered.

qu138255_250.jpg
Click to Enlarge

Well, I tow an Escape on a Demco tow dolly and use the electrically operated dolly brakes which have worked great in 4 trips from Michigan to Florida.

I forgot to mention that there is a air pressure line that ends at the immediate back of the motorhome, but I have never used it.

Have them remove it. That setup is for the Airforce 1 brake system for a towed vehicle that is towed 4 down and you do not really need it.

4 hours ago, sstgermain said:

Have them remove it. That setup is for the Airforce 1 brake system for a towed vehicle that is towed 4 down and you do not really need it.

No that is not why it is there. Just like the one in the front. It is to give acess if a wrecker needs to add air to air up the suspension and or release the emergency break. You can allso use it to air up tires. :D 

Ok lets do like Herman Jr. said and get back to the OP's problem.:P

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

No that is not why it is there. Just like the one in the front. It is to give acess if a wrecker needs to add air to air up the suspension and or release the emergency break. You can allso use it to air up tires. :D 

Ok lets do like Herman Jr. said and get back to the OP's problem.:P

Bill

According to the OP that was his problem

" The coach is now located at the REV service facility in Decatur, Indiana. The issue we have found is they have never seen a system like this or who manufactures them. Does any one have any knowledge of this type of system as we are not even sure just what this system would be used for as it is not original to the coach. "

Like Bill wrote.  I have the same System on my coach.  REV is not the brightest bulb in the tree, they  where given the RV business, in 2015 by  their owner, Allied. 

Hang on guys. I don't have a connection in the rear of my coach to supply air from a wrecker but I do have a air supply on the rear of my coach to supply air to  my M&G braking system on my toad.  I would not remove the Air Force 1 system, if that is in fact what it is, but I would check it for air leaks because you may eventually want to tow four down and need the air supply. 

It sounds like the air brake system that Spartan has as legal way to hook up for air brake control for the toad.  It is not legal to cut into the air brake system on the coach although many people do.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:33 AM, rcieslak67 said:

plus the check valve has failed

After going back and re reading the OP's post I think this may be the key problem.

Bill

Bill, I also had to re-read it and think your right.  Also a leak in the system...110 psi, is low for that model coach.  Mine is 123 when traveling!

I will reply to my REV write up man on Monday about this type of air system, he was off on Friday and that is why no picture. There are not a lot of places to get a coach

worked on in Michigan that I trust.  I absolutely will not take anything to General RV as they are a large group of lying idiots.

When we where in, IN. last summer, we found no shortage of RV garages.  We did find that REV charges the highest hourly rate in the Country!  Horrible Service...

Just for comparison, the two places (commercial truck/coach service facilities) in Milwaukee we take our coach for service both charge about $130/hr for service. However, once I established a relationship with them, they both adjust the rate down to about $90/hr.

I just heard back from REV in Decatur, IN and they are saying this system installed on my Scepter is not an AirForce 1 system. That is why it has been so difficult to find who made it and or any parts.

I talked again to REV service after I gave them the phone number for Demco who now own AirForce 1 air systems.

After having their service technician describe the system to the AirForce 1 people it turns out it is an AirForce 1 system.

So, we lost three weeks of fooling around of trying to determine who made the system. 

REV in  Texas=$140 an hour!  Texas Custom Coach=$80 (yes, they build Prevost conversion)!