whale1999

No power from chassis batteries

I removed my chassis batteries to charge.  After re-installing the RV will not start and the dash want lite, everything is dead. I think the batteries are not connected correctly.  If you have a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Bus (Freightliner Chassis) please let me know if you can send me a picture of your connected  chassis batteries. 

Edited by whale1999
Add picture

21 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Post a picture of the top of your batteries and I will tell you how they should be wired.

Not sure if the cable connected to the negative post on the right battery is correct. 

1CC7924C-554E-48F0-B252-B224D8A50F86.jpeg

Something is quite possibly wrong. The cable on the far right has a red heat shrink on it, yet it appears to be connected to the negative post of the right-hand battery.

Is this a 12v chassis system? Are these both 12v batteries?

I am very sorry but that is a conglomerate mess. I have never seen that much stuff on  batteries before. It look like they are in series and not parallel connection but it appears that a Positive cable is connected to a negative post on the right.

I'm baffled but i am sure there is an explanation in there somewhere.

One 12 volt battery = 12 volts.

Two batteries in Parallel are both Positive post connected and both Negative post connected equalling 12 volts.

Two Batteries in Series is  positive to negative equalling 24 volts.

Let us know what you come up with.

The picture is not complete enough, nor clear enough to determine what might be wrong. Is the terminal on the far right in the picture positive or negative? Yes on a 2011 the chassis batteries should be 12 volt, which of course means that they should be parallel to each other.

Yes, if the batteries are 12 VDC:

Positive of battery #1 to positive of battery #2. And positive cable to starter, etc from positive of battery #1.

Negative of battery #2 to negative of battery #2. And chassis ground cable to negative of battery #2.

And, agree with Herman-- I would sure clean up that mess of wires. Appropriately sized (for large-gauge wires) terminal strips are not that expensive. Would also make battery replacement and servicing a LOT easier in the future (and a lot less likely to put a wire on the wrong terminal). Another advantage is that the wires that you move away from the batteries will be a lot less likely to corrode.

Lots of choices to clean that up: https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=terminal+block

When I had a 2011 Allegro Bus 37' with a 450 Cummings...it was a very clean & orderly battery compartment for both chassis batteries and house batteries!  Are you the second or third owner?

Hard to tell from the photo what is what. Looks like red shrink tubing was used on multiple cables, so that might not be an indicator of anything.

My first suggestion would be make sure that all the ground cables are properly connected to the negative side of things, and that all the power taps and positive cables are properly attached to the positive terminal. Looks like there are a couple of extra pieces in there being used to join the two batteries together, plus a bunch of things improperly connected directly to battery terminals.

There also looks to be a main fuse on the left-hand terminal, which may or may not be blown by now. If it is blown, don't replace it until you confirm everything is connected properly.

I am seeing what may be 2 glaring problems maybe more. 

The first as simple as you have the batteries in backwards.   Think about turning them around so that the positive terminal on the batteries are on the right as viewed in the pictures.  This way the red cable coming in on the right most terminal will go to the positive post.

Second the large red cable going to the center of the left hand battery is RED, and is attached to that strange looking jumper cable going to the negative terminals of both batteries.  That should attach to the positive terminals.  Probably on the jumper that goes from the red cable on the far right to the right hand terminal on the left battery. 

Additional issues.  There are several small wires some of which look like they are painted red and/or have red colored wire.  A couple of them are attached to a jumper which is going to the negative posts. 

You have a real mess there. 

Go to http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum/  and join the Tiffin owners forum and post the question there.  Chances are someone there has a 2011 bus and can compare your set up to theirs.

BEFORE, posting pictures, spend a little more time and take pictures which are in focus or clearer.  If you are using a smart phone, once you take the pictures, view them on the phone and then zoom in on the pictures to be sure they are clear.  It is just being considerate when asking for assistance to be sure you have good pictures.  It would even be more helpful to take 3 pictures.  The right battery, the left battery and then both together.  That makes an even clearer picture to look at.

Rich, why a 2006?  OP has a 2011 Allegro Bus!  Mine had 2 chassis batteries and 6 house!  All electric coach!  :P

48 minutes ago, manholt said:

Rich, why a 2006?  OP has a 2011 Allegro Bus!  Mine had 2 chassis batteries and 6 house!  All electric coach!  :P

Think I had another DUH Moment ? ,but I copied and pasted that model from a thread reply and there information.. Sometimes the brain is not on the same page or I have to many windows open at the same time.

Now to see if there is something closer to the OP year.  Edits to follow.

Rich.

Carl, the battery connections in the picture attached by the OP do not look like the setup in the owners manual for the 2011 Allegro Bus? 

Wounder if a previous owner added some extra circuits and no notes where passed on ?

Some of the clutter is from the terminal caps being removed from the connection posts, looks like the batteries are not on a slide tray and with all the filters above the batteries - impossible to get a good look at things

The information was copied and pasted from alflorida's post, my bad!