obiwan_canoli

Can 35' Ventana LE DP handle HD lift, & Tow Dolly w/car?

Would love to take the HD (800#) along with the car, figure it requires a lift for the HD, and wondering if my coach can handle the load. GCWR gives me about 5K to work with, and I'm thinking I might have to consider leaving one of them behind, or trading up to a longer tandem rig...

My coach is a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE, 35' DP, the car is a Ford Edge front wheel drive... I'd be happy if I could add a lift to tow the HD, but looking for other perspectives, and experiences...

Look at total weight of HD and the lift.  Since it will be way behind the rear axle, it will put approximately 1.4 times that weight on the rear axle (and remove the .4 from the front axle).

So, before going further, weight the axles and compare with your GAWR.

Have you looked at, and or considered a tandem tow dolly, I have pulled the golf cart and the Ford Escape in this manner for a couple of years and has worked well for me. Tongue weight is about 350# and 4980 total being towed.

I have a lift on my MH and carry a 920# Street Glide occasionally.  Not any great distance though due to significant overload on rear axle.  Here are some real numbers for you to consider:

Rear axle without Harley (carrier is included):  19,460#  I guesstimate the carrier weighs between 250-300#

Front axle without Harley (carrier still installed): 10,340#

With the bike loaded things change to:

Front:  9,681

Rear: 20,680

You might want to consider an http://www.idahotote.com/ or a http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel

Safe riding!!

Lenp

For a 35' DP, the swivel wheel would work, if you have a side radiator!  Would not work for a Big Rig coach, due to excessive length.

Best is a used 4x4 truck and put bike in bed.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:26 AM, manholt said:

For a 35' DP, the swivel wheel would work, if you have a side radiator!  Would not work for a Big Rig coach, due to excessive length.

Best is a used 4x4 truck and put bike in bed.

That would be my choice.  I tow a Silverado with a 96 gallon diesel tank in the back so I don't have to drive my coach in to fuel up.  My coach has 185 gal diesel capacity.

Given the additional weight on the rear, I'm thinking my best option is a 4X4 with a long enough bed to accommodate the HD (as Manholt suggested) and a Rampage-type winch. I'd LIKE to go another route, but that appears to require a longer, tandem axle coach, and that's not, at this point, in the cards.

Thank you all for your thoughts and contributions... been a big help!