hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

13 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

What is sad to see is the driver that has never been in "The Love Bugs", turn on their wind shield washer and wipers. Boy what a mess and you have to pull over because you can't see.

Herman

You get them around home Herman?

Yes, April and May are the worst time in many areas.

One of our members came to a Rally and the bugs were so bad on the front of his coach,you almost couldn't tell the color of his coach. And the one thing you want to do is clean them off as soon as possible. If you don't they are almost impossible to get off.

Herman

13 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Yes, April and May are the worst time in many areas.

good to know, trying to plan a future move and making the list of critters that we will have to get use to :wacko:

Joe the worst bug you have down here are CHIGGERS. If you move to the city where the lawns are always mowed and neat not a big issue. But go into weed and tall grass, woe! The best thing I have found is sulfur. I keep a ole sock with it in it and dust my ankles, feet and legs when i have to be in the tall grass on the farm. But it's home and wouldn't change it for any thing.

Well lots and lots of cash might change that.:lol:

Herman

Good to know. I am looking for a country spot with a few acres. I want a detached garage large enough to park the coach inside and still have room to work on other projects. not going to get that in a city, plus we are not city people, nice to visit on occasion but not home for us! 

Whats with houses in TX having popcorn ceilings :wacko:

This thread is beginning to remind me of the happy motorcyclist! How do you know one? Just look for the bugs on their teeth.:ph34r: Joe the popcorn ceilings are due to the fact that they haven't caught up yet.:blink:

35 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Joe the popcorn ceilings are due to the fact that they haven't caught up yet.:blink:

Every darn house I look at has them, and all I can think is "what a mess that will be to remove!"

We don't have as bad problem with love bugs as south Texas and have seen them more east of Houston. More out in the rice patties of east Texas along I-10. I didn't see any west of mid Louisiana. I was coming west on I-20.

What Herman said about  CHIGGERS. They are all over the south. I just spray my feet and legs with off and you don't have that big of a problem. When you have a place you can treat the place and not have a problem.

Bill

Bill,

I have learned that where you keep the grass mowed you don't have Chiggers. But where the grass and weeds are tall then you have them.

Best thing I have found for chigger bites is to cover the bites with clear finger nail polish. In less then 2 minutes the itching is gone. 

Herman 

I have the tall grass and weeds as I haven't mowed down at my "ranch" since before mid June. With all this rain and all the outher stuff going on It might be awhile. I will be using some Off when mowing near the bushes in the hedgerow. :P I don't want to use up a bottle of nail polish.

Bill

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Every darn house I look at has them, and all I can think is "what a mess that will be to remove!"

Not nearly as hard as one may think. A spray bottle filled with plain water, spray a three foot circle at a time, wait ten minutes, then with a 6 inch sheetrock mud knife, just scrape it lightly. I use a paint roller pan just under the knife to catch the residue. Have removed an entire room ceiling of that junk in less than an hour. Biggest problem is that sheetrock finishers only mudded with two coats of mud instead of three, then did not sand before applying that mess. So if you do remove, then a nice light coat of mud where needed makes for a nice ceiling that can be painted. You buy the house and call me, I'll take a vacation to help you with the project. Only problem is, I'm a big eater.:)

47 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Only problem is, I'm a big eater.

A marriage made in heaven, i'm a big cooker :lol:. I grew up with the thought that its better to have left overs than not having enough food. DW grew up the same way, so when we have anything at the house I can feed the neighborhood, most don't walk away, they crawl or roll :). The other problem, I move to Texas, between you, Carl and Herman ill need a bigger smoker for all that Brisket :lol:

We do ceilings for friends also!  You know we cook...:wub:

Sulfur powder, long pants, boots and long sleeve shirt.  Twice a year, but not too bad in fall.  All clothing hits the wash after and a soapy hot shower!  You'll be fine!  You'll also smell nicer...:ph34r::D

Love bugs:  Not many in Hill Country, now Galveston is a different thing, both in May & October...we also get the swarm of sugar bees in East TX. around April.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Sulfur powder

We always bathed in sulfur soap before and after any trip to pick blackberries while growing up, never knew what a red bug was till I forgot to do that.:rolleyes:

We've been all over Texas and the worst love bugs seemed to be in the SE part of the state.  A few years ago we went from League City (SE of Houston, in Brett's territory) to Rockport, down just NE of Corpus.  The bugs hitting the front of the coach sounded like, and reminded me of, a previous life when some unfriendly folks were firing AK47s at me and my windshield...both sounded the same, and quite similar.☹️

My Beach house was built in 2006 and I have 3,770 sq. feet of that crud...I'm the 2nd owner, bought it Feb. 2007.  Had it spray painted a light tan, match walls, most people don't notice it. 

I think I'll have another cup!:lol: The thing about the popcorn ceilings, now people are using that same stuff on the walls and ceilings, only difference is that now we use a wide blade sheetrock knife while it is still wet, push the knife flat against it to flatten it, now it takes on the appearance of stucco. Most Florida homes and beach houses are using it that way for at least ten years now.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Kay, I cannot imagine the frustration trying to clean a house with those walls. 

They don't clean them they just paint them. It is cheap for the builders to do it it covers the bad tape and beading under it.

The next big thing with houses in the area is they figured out they could tell people they couldn't build basements and sell the houses for the same price. There are a couple contractors starting to offer basements again but not a wide practise. 

Bill