hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

Back to Texas bugs. I found chiggers the hard way at Ft Hood. Then it was flea collars around the boots.

My question is: What is with those locus bugs? I remember them everywhere at a certain time of the year.

Then they all die and are piled up everywhere.

"D", 

Best for Chiggers is to use Sulfur Powder. I put it in an old sock with a knot tied at the top and use it to dust my ankles and bottom of my pants. 

The other name for locus is "Acadia". They do come out at different times each year. Around these parts we don't see a lot of them. What we do see at time are the shell or skin when they shed. But they are the same bug as in the Bible and the "Plague of Locus." 

Herman

Snake?  That's a first...will try it, around the outdoor pigeon aviary.  Also around house!  We do have those critters with no shoulders! :D

We should have a bumper crop of Locust...all the rain gets them out of hibernation! 

On this last trip someone told me to try 303 protectant on the front of the MH (paint area). I tested the top panel above the generator opening slide out. Put some 303 on it and wiped it all across the panel.  Came home through a mess of bugs. Turned on the hose and on that panel the bugs just washed away.

Oh, on the 303, a friend found some at Bailey's in Indiana  for $4.99 a gallon.  Bailey's is a place that buys damaged pallets of items like off of 18 wheeler that loses their load. Good friend, just gave me a gallon.

Jim,

I had mine removed for a total fo $500.00.

That was the deductible on my insurance to fix one of my blunders. The shop convinced the adjuster that they could not match to paint till they had the whole front end cleaned off.

Don't recommend having a collision but it worked out for us. The paint under the crazed 3M/Diamond shield was perfect.

Herman   

Joe L.  Has a black bra.  Looks Funky, but functional.  I just don't like the chrome turn buckles! :huh:😎 When Linda & I get our new coach, it will have something other than DS!!! 😡 I'll hit Bill E. for ideas!  There has got to be an alternative to Diamond Shield, since I don't see it on Prevost or Newell or MANN.

21 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Do you have Diamond Shield on the front of your MH, Wayne?  Unfortunately I do and they recommend applying 303 monthly or after every washing.

No, just that 3m film that scratches real easy if you try to hard to get a bug off of it. Someone before me did it on this MH and there are a few fingernail or pad scratches. I just cleaned the front a little while ago and I used Awesome. Just a little spray with a microfiber cloth under the area to catch drips, wait about 10 seconds and wipe off. Worked well on the bugs.

17 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe L.  Has a black bra.  Looks Funky, but functional.  I just don't like the chrome turn buckles! :huh:😎 When Linda & I get our new coach, it will have something other than DS!!! 😡 I'll hit Bill E. for ideas!  There has got to be an alternative to Diamond Shield, since I don't see it on Prevost or Newell or MANN.

What does Joe L's motorhome have?🤡

Oops!

19 hours ago, manholt said:

There has got to be an alternative to Diamond Shield, since I don't see it on Prevost or Newell or MANN

Carl, nothing beats stainless steel, if it gets too unsightly, 2000 grit sandpaper then polish with 4000 grit.:)

20 hours ago, manholt said:

Carl, Amer Coach quit using Diamond Shield a few years ago and now (at least my '14) has Dura Shield.

http://durashieldppfs.com/

Wayne, I have a snap on nose Bra, I put it on if its dry out and we are running interstates, otherwise it stays rolled up under the coach. here's a photo with it on and with it off

IMG_2581.jpg

coach at J&D.JPG

33 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Don't forget to close the bay door before going to bed, Joe.

Always close it up before bed Jim, and I usually put away the chairs just in case it rains.

I have not finished the refinish of the front of my coach. When I do will likely do what Joe has as it is the easiest overall I think. Porsche owners used a BRA for years and then they slowly went away cause they were difficult to fit properly on the newer cars. Other issues too but on a coach straight forward. One thing few know is that it can be polished just like paint. Just use a little less pressure to keep the heat down.  

Frankly though I like the clear 3M film the best. It must be considered as I have stated before , a "maintenance item" and replaced before it ages out. I would use it again but the front of the Panther has so many levels, 2 is 2 many and I am not skilled enough to use a 36 inch wide piece and am unwilling to pay for another to install it. My panther came with one of the full width Lexan bug shields...great except that you could not clean under it/behind it. It was very cumbersome to remove, I did once and pitched it. 

The one thing I am going to try before adding the Black vinyl bra since I am going to paint it is to add a flex agent to the clear coat on the nose. Today all the front bumper skins on cars have a flex agent in the clear topcoat. I see no reason that would not work for the nose on a coach. It is a bit more time consuming as the finish dries much slower after adding the agent. It still color sands and polishes with a bit more effort.... You do not see big chips on these bumpers, a bit of nicking over time but worth a try.  

Bill, its hard to see in the one photo but I had removed the rest of the shield and had some paint work completed from when you saw it last. My generator cover was never primed when it was painted at the factory, when I was scraping the shield any loose paint would peel like a banana :wacko:. A friend runs a body shop, I pulled it off and gave it to him to repaint and he stripped it down and rebuilt it all back up, surprisingly the match is almost 100%. I still have some more minor paint work to be done, so minor its probably not going to get done. 

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Joe, I've seen many a coach bra but I was referring to you. Any pictures?😁

Lol, no bra needed anymore, I lost 114 lbs in two years. Trying out for Mr. Olympia at 46 😎