hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

Guys,

We are getting very close to this turning into a political discussion-- off limits on this and about every other RV forum I am aware of.

Please, let's keep this one on track.

Thanks.

The Brewster County (Texas) judge issues the order effective Monday, March 23, all hotels, B&B's, campgrounds, etc will close. This is the largest county in Texas and includes the Big Bend National Park. We were planning to go late next week.

1 minute ago, elkhartjim said:

My lucky day because I was able to book a full hookup site in the Davis Mountains State Park.

A great park.

Was there 2 weeks ago.

From the FMCA Website this morning.

A message from FMCA President Jon Walker

I am sorry to announce that on Friday, March 20, 2020, FMCA’s Board of Directors voted to cancel the association’s 102nd International Convention & RV Expo, scheduled for August 26-29, 2020, at the Lancaster Event Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.

With so much uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic in North America – in particular, how long it might last -- FMCA’s leadership made the complex and agonizing decision to cancel this event. For the health of our members and the association, it was the most sensible and appropriate thing to do.

Hopefully this pandemic will be under control by next spring and we can gather for our next convention scheduled for March 10-13, 2021, at the Georgia National Fairgrounds in Perry. Until then, please follow the recommendations issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help stop the spread of COVID-19. And travel safely.

Herman

I am truly befuddled and confused with all of the closings, cancellations, shelter in place rules, etc.  This is not intended to be a rant, nor a political statement by any means.  I just wonder if I am missing something with all of the reactions to this Covid-19 virus versus the annual and seasonal flu.  Here is an article by and about Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist.  The following statement was taken from the article.

"But he also blames the media for causing unnecessary panic by focusing on the relentless increase in the cumulative number of cases and spotlighting celebrities who contract the virus. By contrast, the flu has sickened 36 million Americans since September and killed an estimated 22,000, according to the CDC, but those deaths are largely unreported."

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

So, why is our country at a standstill over Covid-19, with 46,548 cases and 540 deaths versus the flu with 36 million cases and 22,000 deaths?  These numbers just don't make any sense to me. What am I missing?

Don

Don, your are just talking statistics for the U.S. 

Take a look at the World Wide Statistics

Or, look at what Gov. Cuomo said about NY Gov. Cuomo

What makes it a pandemic is no cure, no vaccine, spreading and would spread like wildfire if actions were not taken. 

The virus is a big problem, but a bigger problem is the panicked people. Who would have thought toilet paper would be a problem.  Heck, someone did some math, but I'm not verifying it, on the number sheets in a roll and then the number of rolls in one of those big packages and it boiled down that a family of 4 would have to take 182 dumps a day to use it all up in some period of time.

The grocery stores are open. We are not in a lockdown, just a stay at home. We can go out for necessities.  If people would not panic and just go on with normal use, there would not be any empty shelves.

With that said, it is reported that Wuhan, China will lift their lockdown on April 8th. Looks like a light at the end of the tunnel.

Don - Also look at the amount of time it's taken for this thing to grow to where it is already. Just a couple of months. How long has it been since the first flu case this year?

Also, the news does regularly cover the seasonal flu. At least the local news around here, as they often show the maps with the current hot spots and outbreaks. Lots of PSAs to encourage people to get their vaccine. National news also covers it regularly, or I should say they did till this story took over.

Our family Dr.(internist) called us today. She asked our current activities, then told me in a stern voice that we must wear a mask when we go to where other people are, grocery, WM in particular. She said older males with heart problems seem the be the least able to recover from COVID19. She closed her office and works from home via telephone and computer. Her husband has heart problems and the risk of keeping her office open is too great a risk. I respect her decision.

Sure hope this runs its course quickly, I'm about to work myself to the bone here on the farm, just to keep my mind busy. Too bad fall is the time for fence-post setting and fence building, I have 1/2 mile waiting to be built and ~2 miles to be repaired.

9 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Where can I get a mask. Oh, I know, it's right next to he toilet paper

I saw a man yesterday with a bandana around his face. Any old port in a storm I suppose. Wonder if I would freak people out if I get my old gas mask out of my old foot locker?

Glad I kept this mask when I closed my wood shop. Might scare the little ones, but if I have to go to a crowded area I'll be okay as long as the batteries hold out in the powered air unit.

DSC_0791.JPG

On 3/24/2020 at 11:17 AM, akadeadeye said:

....I am truly befuddled and confused with all of the closings, cancellations, shelter in place rules, etc.  What am I missing?...

Don

Look no farther than the main stream media.  Even our local media, they rant and rave, give partial and half truths all aiming at a political objective which will go unmentioned here.

Don, the city of Burnet is on Lock Down!  What can I do & not do?  Pretty much the same as I did before yesterday! Has not affected our life style, other than not sitting in Restaurant & some strange runs on our food markets!  We have a bread machine, but no flour of any kind to be found.  Can't go into lobby of the Bank, unless you call and make an appointment, same with Merrill Lynch...those 2 is my excitement for this morning!  This afternoon, I have 5 ac of lawn to cut and then lay down fertilizer.  

RayIN, I feel your pain!  We got a mile of fence in back that's got to be replaced, before that can happen we need to get rid of a lot off ceder trees and old dead trees, then tear the old barb wire and most of the posts out.  Not waiting for fall, tree removal company with all the heavy equipment will be here next week!  Then we're putting in 2 1/2 inch pipe with  4 rows of welded on Sucker Rods and pig wire!  We got over 4,000 feet of pipe and my friend  in NE TX is bringing us 12,000 feet of rods and his welder to go along with ours...yea, I know how to put down a bead.  We got to do the same with the front. 

Wayne,  your right.  COVID-19 is no joke!  Maybe now, everyone will be vaccinated against the flu next year!  

So far, so good up high here in Mineral Wells. I'm working on some acacia in a Discovery and then our coach is going to get some hickory. Keep on plugging

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Don, the city of Burnet is on Lock Down!  What can I do & not do?  Pretty much the same as I did before yesterday! Has not affected our life style, other than not sitting in Restaurant & some strange runs on our food markets!  We have a bread machine, but no flour of any kind to be found.  Can't go into lobby of the Bank, unless you call and make an appointment, same with Merrill Lynch...those 2 is my excitement for this morning!  This afternoon, I have 5 ac of lawn to cut and then lay down fertilizer.  

RayIN, I feel your pain!  We got a mile of fence in back that's got to be replaced, before that can happen we need to get rid of a lot off ceder trees and old dead trees, then tear the old barb wire and most of the posts out.  Not waiting for fall, tree removal company with all the heavy equipment will be here next week!  Then we're putting in 2 1/2 inch pipe with  4 rows of welded on Sucker Rods and pig wire!  We got over 4,000 feet of pipe and my friend  in NE TX is bringing us 12,000 feet of rods and his welder to go along with ours...yea, I know how to put down a bead.  We got to do the same with the front. 

Wayne,  your right.  COVID-19 is no joke!  Maybe now, everyone will be vaccinated against the flu next year!  

Carl, as long as you can get a Storms Burger and fries to go life should be fine. 

Don

They're testing me! The winter cabin fever is already a big drag, and now having to work from home...... which I have never done and with my mom, DW, daughter, her husband and out little granddaughter all at home.......😬1 bourbon 1 scotch 1 beer😣

I don't like Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! either