hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

Now I have to create a new password before I can log-in each time. Dumb system, I used the same password and it signed me in as soon as I clicked on continue.

As I read it the software upgrade to be done was the software running the "corporate" side of the business and the forum software wouldn't be involved. I guess I can't expect too much from a IT group that takes several weeks to upgrade a package. I wonder how they are managing their accounts receivable and payables not to mention payroll during the time their systems are inoperable. It may be Big Chief tablets and #2 pencils time. 

They can handle accounts receivable and payable. Having been through 5 major system changes and one computer sabotage that was costing the company a million a day in lost shipments, I think FMCA’s IT staff is doing all they can. It is time to quit complaining and start praising.  

Jim I think he said two people in IT now, and are working hard to accomplish this change--over and work out the bugs. I gather from things I have read, HQ has reduced staff to bare-bones and still operate.

First rule of business, if you don't have the financial and manpower wherewithal, you don't undertake projects like this. One has to wonder what the benefit of this new upgrade is and can it be financially justified.  

That Jim, was my point above! :blink:

Ross, what committee are you on now?  A million a day, how many day's or weeks did it take, for someone to snap and say, "we have a problem?"

P&P Committee, but I don’t understand your second question. 

I just don’t understand why some on this forum bash FMCA. I am reminded of one axiom of dealing with people. “Praise in public, criticize in private.” This forum is not private. 

This is getting into politics which is not permitted pm the Forum. If you want to continue this discussion move it to a PM, personal message.

Thank you, 

Herman Mullins 

FMCA Forum Monitor 

Help me out, Herman. How is discussing upgrading the FMCA software a political discussion; unless you're referring to the FMCA internal politics, which I have no knowledge of or interest in discussing.

Herman, this is not "Politics" in any way, shape or form!  You being on a committee = Politics?  Think not.

Ross, your the one who wrote "One million dollars a day in lost shipments, due to Computer Sabotage!"

We are talking about "Upgrading FMCA Software....

OK, now I understand your question. 

Before retirement, I was a computer programmer and also did system support. Our shipping plant computer that controlled 5 stackers was sabotaged by taking a tool and destroying the wire wrap backplane. Also, the bundles of wires in the 5 stacker were cut. While 4 people worked on getting the stackers rewired, I reconfigured another computer and installed it in place if the one destroyed. I had to get the source code and rewrite the software. First day was 27 hours, 4 hours sleep, 18 hours, 6 hours sleep and 16 more hours. The others finished the stackers and the program operated the stackers in manual mode. We ordered a Real Time Clock module that took a week to receive. Installed and system went automatic. 

The above and several other experiences give me insight to the task required to change over computer systems. 

We just sold our house in NH. Had to get a "temp" apartment for the time being.

I never lived in an apartment. Kind of weird not being able to drink a 12 pack and mark

my territory! 

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

My back yard is adequate but bring your own chairs.

Have chairs will travel. New business cards on order.:)   With considerable help from Mr. Ball I'm in like flint -finally. He had to send me a temp. password via his email, the software links do not work yet.  BTW, I cleared everything from my FF browser, no joy.. My old password was still in the FMCA system??? All is well now.

Edited by rayin

I had to remove all the cookies for FMCA from my browser, and then log into the main FMCA.com website first. Once my member dashboard opened, I was able to follow the links to the forum.

There does appear to be something wrong with the forum itself, where the page doesn't present a link to log in anymore. It defaults to creating an account but doesn't have one for logging in. At least on my side.

7 hours ago, dbenoit said:

We just sold our house in NH. Had to get a "temp" apartment for the time being.

I never lived in an apartment. Kind of weird not being able to drink a 12 pack and mark

my territory! 

That's funny!!

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

I had to remove all the cookies for FMCA from my browser, and then log into the main FMCA.com website first. Once my member dashboard opened, I was able to follow the links to the forum.

There does appear to be something wrong with the forum itself, where the page doesn't present a link to log in anymore. It defaults to creating an account but doesn't have one for logging in. At least on my side.

log in using the URL "community.fmca.com" Just type that in the URL or bookmark it and you should be good to go.

When I click on the login block at top right of the main https://FMCA.com/ it goes to the page where login is on left on right is signup for FMCA.  The wrinkles are smoothing out as we go along though. I deleted everything as Wayne suggested and I could login after Mr. Ball sent me a temporary password. Oddly enough when i went to change that temporary password, my original password was still there even though it wouldn't get me logged in.  Ah the mysteries of the internet, it does exactly what it is told, no more no less.

Edited by rayin

5 hours ago, rayin said:

All will go well Herman, do as the Dr. and therapist say and you'll heal fine. Rehab is very important, i approached it as if my life depended on it, and it really does. The therapists in rehab were reminding me every  session to slow down a bit, as my heart rate and BP climbed too high for safety.  Now I'm ready to go hiking and shed this 20# I've gained in the last 9 months of staying home.

That was in 2005, my heart is very healthy for being 78, with 3 extra-long stents a few years after the quad-bypass.

My best to you!

Thank you Ray.

Herman