hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

On 12/20/2020 at 4:47 AM, manholt said:

DB, off all the places to move...why "The Cape?"

Pre retirement location. When it's time (3 yrs) we will not be there in the winters.

Come spring we will have 3 locations. The temp. apt. in NH. MH will be seasonal in NH and the cape house.

We will move out of apt. and live in MH while cape house gets nuked! We just go there now on the weekends.

We sold the main house in NH about a month ago. Big score on that one. The MH and the boat are at the cape.

We put a ridiculous price on it and got full price offer in a week, closed 3 weeks later. Ching ching!

3 hours ago, dbenoit said:

We sold the main house in NH about a month ago. Big score on that one. The MH and the boat are at the cape.

We put a ridiculous price on it and got full price offer in a week, closed 3 weeks later. Ching ching!

Got to love that!! 

You had to scramble, hope your personal belongings and furniture is stored close to you!

I wish you and your family, a wonderful and healthy Christmas! 🎅:)

3 hours ago, manholt said:

You had to scramble, hope your personal belongings and furniture is stored close to you!

I wish you and your family, a wonderful and healthy Christmas! 🎅:)

Big time scramble. Talk about anxiety to the max Everything is in storage.

The cape has a fold out table, plastic chairs and a blow up mattress also a Christmas tree set up that was left in the shed.

The queen and I will be hiding out there for the holidays. I even got all the equipment to go quahogging and stay dry and warm.

Christmas blessings to all.

In my teens one didn't need a permit, just go dig.  Somewhere along the line politicians noticed they could make money off of permits - and so goes the story.

p.s., question: Do they put a limit on how many you can harvest?

Edited by wayne77590

1 peck or basket is the limit. Need to gauge them also. Our "hogs" never make it to the stuffin stage.

Wife is always smashing them together to open almost as fast as imma diggin.

Imma going to do the "Tog and Hog" this weekend. A Buzzards Bay saying.

Tautog and Quahogs. Tautog feeds thru the winter and eats mostly crab so it is an excellent tasting fish.

Funny thins is that I cannot bring home fish without a heads, wife is Portuguese, or it will be mine in the frying panela.

6 hours ago, dbenoit said:

Funny thins is that I cannot bring home fish without a heads, wife is Portuguese, or it will be mine in the frying panela.

D, can you explain the reason or traditions of your wife. Just wondering. (Hopefully no offence) 

Thanks, Herman

4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

D, can you explain the reason or traditions of your wife. Just wondering. (Hopefully no offence) 

Thanks, Herman

She was raised in Santa Maria Acores, almost all of there food came from the ocean. They know how to eat and cook it in everyway possible.

I don't eat the heads though but have fried up dozens. When she is done you can't tell that was 1/2 a fish...lol. Most all in her family can separate the bones

in their mouth and spit them out later, then bring the shellfish into it and you need wet weather gear.

btw....I have cabin fever bad. 

The cheek of the fish is a delicacy in many part of the world. You don't get much but it is good. Even some poisonous fish cheek is good to eat. Don't remember which kind.

Comes from my Scuba Diving days in the Caribbean.  

Not much out of the ocean is not edible.

Edited by wayne77590

Wayne forget Puffer!  I don't remember either...I'm going to find out from my friend Ellwet....He's Caymanian.  I got all my licenses from Grand Cayman, Dive Master! Lived there part time from 1981 to 1998, then sold house on East End and 2 Condos in Hamilton Harbor! 

It's hard to beat Cod Tongue and Cheek!!!:wub:

DB, my wife's Grandmother was from Assuncao, Vila Do Porto Santa Maria...Julia Lima!  Linda does a lot of research in the old Archives, problem is, she has trouble with the "Old Script."  Julia's sister was the mother of Tony Lima (PGA Golf)!  Linda has traced her Mothers side (Lima to 1665 Velho family), Julia married a Mello from Graciosa.  

Sure would be nice if your DW and my DW could get together!  

Merry Christmas to all. 🎅

Puffer fish is a delicacy that has to be specially prepared by a trained chef.  Would I take the chance. Nope!

Guantanamo Bay Cuba 1971-1974. They did not have a "sanctioned" SCUBA course like NAUI or PADI, but they did have their own course. It was so rigid that carrying a GTMO Reef Raiders diving card in the states one could get a tank full of air with no problems. Just show the card. (Now-a-days probably don't even need a card.)  About 5 or 6 months after I got there PADI was the course. I became a Dive Master and then an Assistant Instructor with PADI and just kept a basic NAUI card (took that course also - but basically assisted the instructor for the card.)  Diving there was fantastic. If one wanted, they never had to go deeper than 30 feet for fantastic sea life and coral reefs.  One beach had 70 foot bottom at about 50 yards and then the Continental Shelf for the drop-off. (That's why the Nave loves that port for training.) Earlene took the basic PADI and then the Night Diving course.  After two night dives with one having a barracuda swim by her mask, and another night of a shark almost coming face to face with her - she gave up night diving. Hee hee!

Back in the States in '74. Let the assistant instructor card expire as there was not much other than a few wrecks to dive on and insurance was going up.  Kept the Dive Master card and still have it. No expiration date. I don't have any intentions of diving any day soon. 🤠

On 12/23/2020 at 6:02 AM, manholt said:

DB, my wife's Grandmother was from Assuncao, Vila Do Porto Santa Maria...Julia Lima!  Linda does a lot of research in the old Archives, problem is, she has trouble with the "Old Script."  Julia's sister was the mother of Tony Lima (PGA Golf)!  Linda has traced her Mothers side (Lima to 1665 Velho family), Julia married a Mello from Graciosa.  

Sure would be nice if your DW and my DW could get together!  

My wife, Lucia, is from Santo Espírito, Santa Maria. She was born and raised there. You never know maybe the queens are related somehow.

Let me know if you ever head this way. We know of some good Portuguese markets, bakeries and restaurants in Fall River. We stay stocked with all those goodies.

Herman, what happened?  The whole system crashed, not just the Forum and it still has hiccups....CEO forget to pay the bill?

DB, sounds good.