hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

Got shot today.  Well, Earlene got one shot and I got the other of the 2nd round of MODERNA COVID-19 vaccine.  The line was long and it took about 1 hour and 45 minutes from time of of car to time back in car. All in all, not bad. Long line as more and more people are getting there first shot, and those of us getting our second.  Someone commented about wondering if we would have to do it again next year.  My response was, "If it is advised, I'll be back."

Earlene's arm is sore - I don't feel a thing. Must be a MAN thing.

7 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Earlene's arm is sore - I don't feel a thing. Must be a MAN thing.

Maybe you're just comparing it to the line of injections you got in basic training.

I remember those high pressure injections. The guy in front of me flinched and his arm was a bloody mess. I have had enough shots back then and am not getting any more.

I remember those air shots well. As usual you waited in line with your shirt slung over you arm. When you stepped up the corp. man said to relax your arm. Then he grab you under your arm shoved the gun to your arm and you stiffened up and he fired the gun. Yea, RELAX!

My first and only time with the air shot was in a hanger bay in Maryland in 1957 and was the flu shot. I thought to myself that wasn't so bad and I walked about 10 steps and my arm felt like a 40 lb. weight dropped with my arm.

Oh yea, they wiped your arm with an alcohol pad, the same one he did everyone before you and I don't remember them wiping the gun of before the next one in line. Oh yea none of the corp. men wore gloves.

How times have changed.

Bring back memories for anyone?

Herman

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Bring back memories for anyone

Yes I got most of my shots in basic that way. One time we got 6 different shots in one time. They had 3 cormen on each side with the guns. Step up and stop and they hit you from each side. Long day.

2 hours ago, erniee said:

I have had enough shots back then and am not getting any more.

This one was no problem barley felt it.

Bill

Seemed like we got about a dozen shots in each arm after they mopped our arms with alcohol. Probably was far fewer, but it sure felt like a bunch. Of course, the next thing the DI told us was to drop and given him 20. Seemed like he was sadistic, but apparently moving your arms and using the muscles after the injections is supposed to help relieve the pain. After all that, getting the one-at-a-time vaccine is a calk walk.

46 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

The worst was the GG shot before going to VN. (GG= gamma globulin)

I don't think I had that one. I enlisted in 1981 and I'd guess that they stopped giving that shot by then.

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

The worst was the GG shot before going to VN. (GG= gamma globulin)

Yes that is the one where they used the big square needle. :o I was on mobility so we had to keep at least 6 months immunity at all times.  

Bill

1 hour ago, wildebill308 said:

Yes that is the one where they used the big square needle.

I bet that was painful, an inch square needle!🥶

My experience with the air gun vaccination was in 1957.   No real problem with it.   In 1968 I had a nurse give me a injection with a regular needle in my left hip and I fell like a rock totally unconscious.   When I came too I was on a stretcher with Dr. and nurse trying to resituate me and my wife was standing by my side.  No problem following and never knew what happen.  I understand I was out for several minutes as they sent someone to waiting room and got my wife and she was with me for some time.

1961, thank you air gun! Never could figure why it hurt in left arm and not in right.  1962 in VN, 2 shots in buttocks & 5 minutes later I thought my A$$ fell off..1999 went to NE China Oil field for 28 days, Bubonic & Anthrax shot. Both really bad. 

Last Friday I received the 2nd COVID vaccine shot. Saturday I felt feverish but OK. Monday my left upper arm swelled and hurt, late in the night my left upper arm began itching. i went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror, my  left arm was-and still is covered with bright red spots surrounded by a redish hue. My neck aches too. Then the the diarrhea hit,  I've taken more Imodium than ever in my life. I may move a small TV into my bathroom.

I called the place that gave me the shot and was advised to  take benadryl to reduce swelling and apply ice packs to my arm. No-on seems alarmed by this but DW and me. I gave my wife the  phone number for the national vaccine injury compensation program just in case this goes South.

ernee the same thing happened in BCT, our entire company was lined up for shots, anticipating some of us were destined for RVN after BCT. One guy jerked his arm and the high-pressure gun cut his tricep open. They carried him out of line and restarted the production line. I think our entire BCT company was done in 2 hours. Personally, I thought the high-pressure gun was less painful  than the needles. Alcohol wipe, never saw one. I think I received 7 shots that day, I remember some of them was bubonic plague,  gamma globlin, yellow fever, can't remember the rest. That was August/Sep 1966. The kicker was, I was sent to FT. Lewis, WA where I got another round of shots. like they never looked at my shot card.

Edited by rayin

We both had the first Pfizer vaccine, and nether one of us felt the needle. My wife had a little soreness at the injection point the next day. No other problems. We are to get our second on February 25th. 

Earlene's arm is still sore. l have no affects from the shot, not even a sore arm.  Hmmm! I wonder if the syringe had vaccine in it! Hmmm!

11 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Earlene's arm is still sore. l have no affects from the shot, not even a sore arm.  Hmmm! I wonder if the syringe had vaccine in it! Hmmm!

Remember home pricing, LOCATION. LOCATION, LOCACION! Vacine, ADMINISTRATION, ADMINISTRATION, ADMINISTRATION!

My youngest son is a Sheriff Deputy and thus is in the "1B group" of first responders to receive the Pfizer vaccine.   His first dose caused some arm soreness for a couple of days he said like a flu shot does.   He received his second Pfizer dose this past Monday morning (2/1) and by Monday night he had a terrible headache, muscle aches, fatigue and overall "icky-ness".   The symptoms lasted until mid-day yesterday.  He felt so bad that he didn't go to work Tuesday or yesterday.   He called his primary care physician late Tuesday who told him that the symptoms he was experiencing were not uncommon as a person's immune system "learns" from the vaccine.  

When I received my first Shingles vaccine dose from a CVS Minute Clinic in early January, I had a sore arm for three days.   The nurse practitioner advised that when it's time for my second dose in May to receive that dose on a Friday as I could experience "flu like symptoms" for a couple of days after receiving that second dose.   For those who have received the Shingrix Shingles vaccine, did you feel poorly following the second dose?

I'm tentatively scheduled to receive the Covid vaccine in March (I'm among the large Group 2 folks) from my employer who has successfully achieved "vaccine distributor" approval for the company's medical offices hence my first Shingrix dose in January, Covid doses in March and April followed by second Shingrix dose in May or June plan. 

Edited by fagnaml

I recently received the Shringrix 2-dose vaccine, and experiences something similar. After the first dose I had a sore arm and felt like I'd been hit by a truck with flu-like symptoms for a few days. It went away and then I felt okay. The second dose resulted in far less of the flu-like symptoms and only for about half a day. The sore arm though, that stuck with me quite severely for a couple of weeks. I was told the same thing - these are symptoms that my body's immune system is working to develop a response to the 'intruder'.

Ray, did you lose weight?  I had Salmonella once and dropped 7 pounds!  Imodium, dry toast and gallons of water!!! 

That was very entertaining video to watch, l was only 6 then and we went camping in the heavy canvas tent, what a back breaker that must have been for my Dad to put up but good times then, now its glamping for us  !!!