hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

The CBS evening news ran a segment from TX showing the extensive damage to one house that was without power, plumbing in the attic burst and  ruined the entire house. This cold is not supposed to happen and construction techniques have been established accordingly. I feel sad for all those affected.

Poor construction is a very contributing part of the frozen pipe problem, however there are steps on can take if no power.

Turn off the water at the city main. If you don't have the "T" handle a crescent wrench or channel locks will do but easier with the "T."  Open all  faucets in the house, both hot and cold and let the water drain out of the pipes.  Reverse the process to get things back to normal. People sometimes just don't know what to do so the word needs to be passed in the neighborhoods.

It is also the process that should be used if the city is on low water pressure.

How many will do it? Not many.

Wayne, we did both at the main in the street and the sub, about 100 feet from house!  We got enough water yesterday to take a shower & wash clothing, 7 days with out water, but we never had a problem with electric!

I do agree with Joe!  I will make some preventive changes at both houses, before we leave this summer....Richard made a good point also, he knows its coming every year, so he preps for it, we have to be preemptive, may or may not happen, but if it does....

Joe, both my homes on Galveston Island was built with 6" x 2", my old house in the hill country was built by a person from Main, walls, interior roof and floor was 10" thick with blown insulation after all elect and plumbing was laid in and connected.  R-39 top, bottom & sides!

Rented a house in Virginia once and the owner had insulated the attic. Insulation was the type with paper backing you could staple to the joists.  He took an extra step and did the inside of the roof stapling it to the runners.  Talk about a well insulated house.

Construction now-a-days is poor by comparison of yesteryear standards.  My son's house spring a leak from a broken pipe. It was on the patio side of the house.  When the plumber came and fixed it he corrected the problem of the pipe runniing along the brick on the inside of the outside wall.

Another friend had a leak in his attic plumbing.  The pipe was up against the eve before it went down into the house. No insulation on either one's pipes.

Good morning Ernie. I'm lurking, or was until now. 

Heading out in a week or so, going to a Wedding in Bryan. Looking forward to it.

We went out for 10 days just before Thanksgiving of last year and it was like staying home as far as COVID was concerned.  Mask, distancing, take food in, and other preventative measures.  We have both had our COVID vaccinations but we will continue the good practices.

How's things that-a-way?

12 hours ago, erniee said:

Everyone just fade away on here ?

Just got home tonight haven't had much time to surf the web. We did the AIM rally at Cajun Palms LA.  http://www.cajunpalms.com/

It was interesting. One thing we got to do was a tour of the Martin Accordion factory. Amazing family business.  

http://martinaccordions.com/index.html

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

We also was with Bill and are still in La. with friends in Kaplan, on to Galveston Monday and Three Rivers next Wed.  We'll be back in Burnet at end of Month!  

I guess we'll have to get the COVID shot in order to leave the US....Sweden don't care, but its still mandatory for us, by CDC, before we are allowed to fly! BS!!!!

Wow! Went into a Harbor Freight yesterday and outside there were two 12 x 18" signs on stands and signs on the windows and doors that stated, "Masks Required For Entry." 

I go inside and there are 6 customers without masks on or even one in their possession.   I asked a sales rep about it and they replied that they were not able to say anything due to corporate policy.  Well duh! Corporate, take the signs down if you are not going to enforce them. Sheesh!

I mean, why have a sign if you are not going to enforce it.

Don't know if anyone saw it but a woman in Galveston wen into a bank without a mask. She was asked to put a mask on and she refused They told her to leave and she wouldn't so the asked the police officer to assist.  She resisted arrest and is now charged with that, and trespassing. Yeah!

10 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Don't know if anyone saw it but a woman in Galveston wen into a bank without a mask

Funny, not that long ago you walked into a bank with a mask trouble was about to go down! :lol:

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Funny, not that long ago you walked into a bank with a mask trouble was about to go down! :lol:

It wasn't that long ago I remember Muslim women being outraged because banks wanted them to take off their face coverings so they could be identified.

Bill

Times have changed.  Muslims are now happy, happy!  I was in Galveston during that stupid, knee jerk reaction and arrest.  

Regarding the "where and when" portion of the this thread, the wife and I plan to enjoy the "Wine and Wildflowers Passport Event" in the Texas Hill Country the weekend of April 9-12 this year.   Our desire was to stay a Sunset Point RV Resort near Marble Falls or the Wine County Jellystone or The Vineyards RV Resort both near Fredericksburg.   When trying to get reservations last week (a full month ahead of our planned outing) I was stunned to learn the "nice" RV parks/resorts from Marble Falls to Fredericksburg are "full" that weekend!   We were able to get a nice spot at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville which is not the best location for touring the wineries but the resort is very nice. 

Getting an RV resort reservation on weekends in late March / early April in past years was relatively easy as those weekends are past school spring breaks and ahead of the summer RV season.   Are other forum members finding nice RV resorts/parks that can handle big rigs full or with very limited space?   If "yes" why?    

I guess I need to make reservations for summer weekend outings now....

Mike, we have reservations in Shipshewana, IN for the month of August and we need to start checking along our route for places to stay.  Going via 20 miles west of Atlanta, then up. 

You are right, in the past it was easy to travel and make reservations along the way. It is different now with the influx of people who have bought RV's and are living in them full time. More and more are finding out that $500-600 a month is cheaper than owning a house.  So many parks are now filled with full timers. I don't blame them but I wish there were limits so everyone would have to move around after a period of time. It would make it easier for us temporary travel people.

We wanted to go to Flagstaff before the COVID stuff. Called to make reservations and they said they were full of permanent campers. It was because of the oil fields. They said that we wouldn't find a place within 90 miles of FS.  We cancelled the trip.

Wayne, Flagstaff is a long ways from the Indian land oil field, that's located by the NM SW and Utah SE border! 

Mike, you forgot the Bluebonnet Festivals in the Hill Country.....There are 2 Rally's in April at Sunset Point, one is the FMCA Lone Star Rally & and the other is a Newall Coach Rally!  As for the other 2 parks, 2 annual biggies.  Bluebonnet and wine!  Did you check on the other 4 RV Parks, including Lady Bird?  They are all "nice", so are the other Parks between MF and Fredericksburg....with wine and snobs, come a lot of high dollar coaches and "nice" RV parks! :ph34r::P

We get our COVID shot the 26th, of March.....J & J one shot.

Edited by manholt

Carl -

Yes I contacted the RV parks/resorts in the Marble Falls to Fredericksburg area that passed the wife's "Google Earth" views and all are 100% full for the weekend of April 9 or their "big rig" spots are full:

• Sunset Point RV Resort in Marble Falls
  • 42 on 32 RV Park - new park south of Blanco
  • Big Chief RV Park on Lake Buchanan
  • Peach Country RV Park in Stonewall
  • Heritage Oaks RV Park east of Fredericksburg (nearly 100% full with full timers)
  • Fredericksburg KOA
  • Texas Wine Country Jellystone Park east of Fredericksburg
  • Fredericksburg RV Park in the city of Fredericksburg
  • The Vineyards at Fredericksburg RV Park

After going 0 for 9 on these preferred location RV parks, I next looked near Kerrville and was lucky to get a nice creek view spot at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort - they only had three spots available!.   The Guadalupe River Jellystone Park between Kerrville and ingram was next on the list if Buckhorn Lake was full.   

Goggle Earth shows a small RV park named "Lighthouse RV Park"  next to the Lighthouse Country Club in Kingsland, TX that from satellite views looks rather nice.  However their website doesn't have on-line registration and no one would answer their phone when I called.   

Not wanting to appear too "uppity", but the Lake Bird Johnson Municipal Park Campground didn't pass the wife test when we physically drove through that park a few years ago. 

Bottom line, I was stunned that this number of RV parks were full / didn't have big rig spaces with nearly five weeks of lead time as I haven't had that experience anytime during the last nine years. 

The pictures in Google street view and Google Earth are not always current pictures. I think it is fun they let the car come in at Buckhorn Lake and take street view pictures. However they are listed as May 2016. Who knows the last time the areal views were taken.

Yes there are lots of people headed out for the weekend/Spring Break.

Bill

Wayne, understood.  But IMHO, Red Valley is the oil field and over 200 miles & 4 hour drive don't make good sense! Think the "Lady" for whatever reason, was a troll.

Mike, on the river is a nice RV Park in Llano.  We are at Buckhorn Lakes a couple of times a year, nicest part of park, if you don't have a casita, is the 55+ with no rug rats!  

We'll be at the Vineyards RV Resort in Fredericksburg this Wed., for a Alzafar Shrine Rally.  We'll drop the coach off and return to Three Rivers Thursday pm...Covid Vaccine Friday at 9:45 am, then back to Rally!  Glad our life is flexible...😂

Such a nice feeling when you live in the North East and you get to de winterize, plus it's easy.

Have the MH parked in the driveway at the Cape while the house gets nuked.

Wicked Fun is being in you campsite on Lake Buchanan reading about people in The North East just geting to de winterize and hoping it doesn't get over  80 today.:P

Bill

Bill, we just left Big Chief RV park yesterday on Lake Buc...

Presently at Hidden Creek in Bryan.

Come in "de-rated" as the check engine light was on. Pulled into Freightliner and they diagnosed it to the output sensor on the after treatment...whatever that means,